Mr. Mayer handles a wide variety of transactions for Goodwin’s banking and financial services clients, including mergers, acquisitions, public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, stock conversions, bank and holding company formations, and other reorganizations of financial institutions and holding companies. He also regularly advises foreign and U.S. clients on bank regulatory matters involving the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Comptroller of the Currency, and other state and federal regulatory agencies.
Over the past several years, Mr. Mayer has advised a wide range of financial institution clients on capital and other compliance matters arising under the Dodd-Frank Act, the Basel Accords and other regulations, and has counseled institutional and other investors with respect to transactions involving banks and bank holding companies. Mr. Mayer also advises other business clients, nonprofits and individuals on a wide range of corporate, corporate governance and other legal matters. His recent work includes representing and/or advising:
- Boston Private Financial Holdings in connection with a variety of corporate governance and securities law matters
- Brookline Bancorp on a number of M&A transactions including its acquisition of Bancorp Rhode Island, Inc. and First Ipswich Bancorp
- Camden National Corporation in connection with the expansion of its Maine-Based banking franchise, through its acquisitions of SBM Financial, Inc.
- Eastern Bank Corporation in connection with its acquisitions of Centrix Bank & Trust in Manchester, New Hampshire, and Campello Bancorp, a troubled financial institution in Brockton, Massachusetts
- HarborOne Credit Union with respect to its conversion to a Massachusetts chartered cooperative bank, the first such transaction in the Commonwealth, as well as its formation of a mutual holding company and initial public offering
- Merchants Bancshares, Inc. of Burlington, Vermont, in connection with its pending merger with Community Bank System, Inc.
- Northeast Bancorp in connection with its restructuring and recapitalization by private equity and other investors as well as its follow-on public offering of common stock
- Randolph Bancorp in connection with its initial public offering and related acquisition of First Eastern Bankshares Corporation, Inc. in Boston, Massachusetts
- The Savings Bank Life Insurance Company of Massachusetts in connection with its conversion from a stock to a mutual form of organization, the first such transaction of its kind
Mr. Mayer serves on the banking law committees of the Boston and American Bar Associations, and is a member of state banker associations in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York and California.
Mr. Mayer has taught bank and bank holding company mergers and acquisitions at Boston University School of Law, and has served on the Board of Advisors for its Center for Finance, Law & Policy. Following law school graduation, Mr. Mayer served as law clerk for the Honorable William H. Timbers, U.S. States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.