In the products liability area, Mr. McGowen’s experience includes defending manufacturers of prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, medical devices, dietary supplements, cosmetics, industrial chemicals and consumer products in complex, multidistrict litigation (“MDL”) and consolidated state court litigation, as well as in individual federal and state court cases. His extensive experience includes defending manufacturers in litigation concerning asbestos, metoclopramide, phentermine, phenylpropanolamine, ephedra, vinyl-chloride and DES. As national or regional counsel, he works with local counsel and experts to formulate and coordinate strategy for clients. He also counsels clients with regard to mergers with product manufacturers, acquisitions of product lines, and product recalls.
Mr. McGowen’s experience includes representing:
- A large generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in products liability litigation in federal and state courts, including MDL and consolidated state court litigation;
- Aircraft manufacturer Northrop Grumman in asbestos litigation in various jurisdictions;
- Shipyard owner Huntington Ingalls in asbestos litigation in various jurisdictions;
- A multi-national adhesives manufacturer in asbestos litigation nationwide;
- Cosmetics manufacturer Kolmar Laboratories in talc products litigation in various jurisdictions;
- A multi-national herbal products manufacturer in ephedra MDL litigation.
Mr. McGowen is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the National Bar Association.