Ian O’Donnell is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Investment Funds group. He specializes in the formation and representation of U.S. domestic and international venture capital, growth equity and private equity funds. Mr. O’Donnell has represented sponsor organizations in the formation of 100+ fund programs, ranging from multibillion-dollar venture capital and private equity funds to early stage venture capital, angel, pledge and microfunds.
As fund counsel, Mr. O’Donnell regularly advises on all aspects of the fundraising process, including providing market intelligence on fund terms and conditions, review and preparation of all fundraising documentation, formulation of marketing plans and strategies, and leading negotiations with various participants in the fund formation process. He has extensive experience in advising on all facets of internal management structuring, governance and compensation matters. He also counsels both domestic and international institutional clients regarding investments in private investment funds.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2017, Mr. O’Donnell was a partner in Cooley LLP’s fund formation group. He previously served as an associate in the fund services group at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.
- Chambers Nationwide: Venture Capital – Fund Formation (2021)
- Chambers CA: Venture Capital – Fund Formation (2021)
- Chambers USA: Investment Funds – Venture Capital (2015-2021)
- Chambers Global (2020-2021)
- The Legal 500 US: Investment Fund Formation and Management – Private Equity Funds (2015-2016, 2021)
- Law & Politics magazine: Northern California Super Lawyer Rising Star (2009)
Georgetown University Law Center