Ms. Owens has experience with all aspects of patent prosecution including examiner interviews, petitions, reissues, reexaminations and appeals. In addition, she has experience with intellectual property matters that encompass the following:
- Managing prosecution dockets for large corporations, both as an in-house attorney and as outside counsel.
- Preparing and prosecuting applications in technology areas including telecommunications, computer software and business methods.
- Investigating patent portfolios for acquisitions and licensing.
- Creating and negotiating agreements and licenses involving intellectual property matters related to patents and trademarks.
- Conducting product clearance investigations and working with inventors and engineers to facilitate product introduction.
- Conducting infringement and validity investigations, preparing opinions and counseling clients with respect to infringement and validity matters.
Ms. Owens is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) and the Maryland and D.C. Bar Associations.
In addition to law firm experience, Ms. Owens has been an intellectual property attorney for the Black & Decker Corporation. Additionally, she served as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.