Ms. Sama has represented clients in federal and state courts, civil and criminal investigations brought by federal governmental authorities, internal investigations, and in proceedings in major domestic and international arbitration forums.
Ms. Sama’s recent representations include:
- A leading international financial institution in an antitrust class action multi-district litigation relating to interest rate derivatives.
- A leading international financial institution in an antitrust class action alleging benchmark rate manipulation.
- A leading international financial institution in several multi-billion dollar disputes alleging fraudulent inducement, misrepresentation, and breach of contract arising from residential mortgage-backed securitizations, resulting in favorable settlements.
- One of the world’s largest international cash logistics and securities companies in a multi-million dollar post-acquisition fraud dispute.
- The managing partner of an investment bank in an arbitration covering disputes under the firm’s partnership agreement.
- Ten current and former employees of a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a civil government investigation and subsequent federal litigation brought by the United States government, various state governments and a qui tam relator involving allegations of healthcare fraud.
- Various clients, including members of the audit committee of a NYSE listed company, in connection with federal government investigations.
- A major real estate investment trust (REIT) in connection with an internal investigation of employee conduct.
- Trader at an international financial institution in connection with global investigations into the LIBOR and foreign exchange market scandals.
- A national telecommunications company in a lawsuit against its former CEO for breaches of fiduciary duties, defamation, tortious interference, theft of trade secrets and conversion.
Prior to practicing law, Ms. Sama worked for the New York Stock Exchange's Division of Enforcement, the National Association of Securities Dealers (“NASD”) and the United Kingdom’s Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”). Following law school, Ms. Sama served as a Special Assistant District Attorney during a secondment to the Kings County District Attorney's Office, during which time she prosecuted numerous misdemeanor and felony cases on behalf of the State of New York, including representing the state in several jury and bench trials and at evidentiary hearings.
In addition to her client matters, Ms. Sama has a diverse and active pro bono practice that is currently focused on criminal innocence work, criminal record expungement and sealing, and supporting the business and legal needs of community early education providers.