Mr. Schultz has represented sellers and purchasers in sales under section 363(b) of the Bankruptcy Code, including:
- The sale of more than 600 gas stations and the sale of an affiliated chain of convenience stores.
- The acquisition of a fast casual restaurant chain.
- The sale of a not-for-profit health maintenance organization (HMO) to a strategic purchaser and the sale of the headquarters building to a not-for-profit charter school.
- The purchase of a Las Vegas convention production company.
- The sale of an aerospace parts manufacturing company.
His experience representing debtors includes:
- Proteus Digital Health, representing the developer of digital medicine technologies as debtor-in-possession in its Chapter 11 case, resulting in a successful sale and unanimous, unopposed confirmation of a Chapter 11 plan providing meaningful recoveries to general unsecured creditors.
- American West Development Inc., negotiating debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing and a Chapter 11 plan to address legacy construction defect liability.*
- WATTSHealth Foundation Inc., confirming a Chapter 11 plan that satisfied all claims in full with interest and generated a multimillion-dollar residual charitable contribution for a not-for-profit HMO.*
- Clark Retail Enterprises Inc., handling Chapter 11 operational matters pending sale and post-sale wind-up for chain of 600+ gas stations and affiliated convenience store chain.*
His experience representing official committees includes:
- Negotiating a $40 million+ settlement for shareholders of Trump Hotel and Casino Resorts Inc., and earning a performance bonus awarded by the bankruptcy court.*
- Negotiating settlement for unsecured creditors holding approximately $300 million in claims against Trump Entertainment Resorts Inc., with bifurcated treatment structure to mitigate dilutive claim effects.*
- Designing, confirming and implementing a Chapter 11 plan with two liquidating trusts and two litigation trusts to distribute value to 10,000 investor victims of the DBSI Inc. real estate Ponzi scheme.*
- Developing and implementing litigation strategy to fund distribution to unsecured creditors of Krystal Koach Inc. from a liquidating trust.*
Mr. Schultz also has served in a fiduciary capacity as distribution trustee for the TER Trust* and as general counsel for the DBSI Liquidating Trusts.**Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Mr. Schultz is active in restructuring related professional organizations.