Mr. Schuman’s recent work includes representing:
- Cisco Systems, as first-chair trial counsel, in defense of a patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and fraud case in the District of Delaware. Following a two-week jury trial and post-trial motions on claims seeking in excess of $500 million in damages, the judgment awarded the plaintiff was just $33,000 in damages*
- Atmel Corporation, as lead counsel, in several cases asserting patent infringement pending in the Eastern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Virginia, and the Central and Northern Districts of California.*
- Jawbone, as lead counsel, in several patent infringement cases involving wearable devices pending in the Eastern District of Texas, and Eastern District of Virginia.
- Unwired Planet (fka Openwave Systems), as lead counsel, in patent infringement and other litigation in the Northern District of California, District of Nevada, and at the PTAB.*
- ActiveVideo Networks, as a member of the team that obtained a $130 million judgment in favor of ActiveVideo against Verizon, and obtained affirmance of judgment on appeal, in a patent infringement case tried in the Eastern District of Virginia.*
- An accused infringer, as lead appellate counsel, in an appeal to the Federal Circuit; obtained affirmation of a judgment of noninfringement in a patent case involving a method for selecting the color of artificial teeth.*
- An international pharmaceutical company, as appellate counsel, in an appeal to the Federal Circuit; obtained affirmance of a judgment of patent infringement.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2014, Mr. Schuman was a partner at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in San Francisco, where he led that firm’s litigation practice in its San Francisco and Palo Alto offices and was deputy leader of its IP practice. Before beginning his private practice, Mr. Schuman served as a law clerk to the Honorable Alan B. Handler of the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey.