- Otto Trucking, LLC, as co-lead counsel along with Goodwin’s Neel Chatterjee, in defense of patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and other state law claims. Achieved summary judgment victory for Otto Trucking.
- Applied Materials, as lead counsel, in patent infringement and related inventorship litigation regarding semiconductor process patent claims asserted against company and its customers. He also participated in related IPR proceedings. Successfully resolved.
- Innovium, Inc., as lead counsel, in case where Broadcom asserted employee mobility related claims, including trade secret misappropriation, against founders. Successfully resolved.
- ARRIS, as lead counsel, in IPR proceedings directed to validity of several Sony Corporation patents asserted against ARRIS subsidiary in co-pending district court patent infringement litigation. Obtained final written decisions invalidating all challenged claims in two Sony patents.
- Cisco Systems, as first-chair trial counsel, in defense of a patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and fraud case in the District of Delaware. Following a two-week jury trial and post-trial motions on claims seeking in excess of $500 million in damages, the judgment awarded the plaintiff was just $33,000 in damages*
- Atmel Corporation, as lead counsel, in several cases asserting patent infringement pending in the Eastern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Virginia, and the Central and Northern Districts of California.*
- Northern District of California, District of Nevada, and at the PTAB, including on the case Unwired Planet LLC v. Google, Inc., which resulted in a precedent-setting Federal Circuit opinion regarding the scope of Covered Business Method (CBM) review.
- ActiveVideo Networks, as a member of the team that obtained a $130 million judgment in favor of ActiveVideo against Verizon, and obtained affirmance of judgment on appeal, in a patent infringement case tried in the Eastern District of Virginia.*
- An accused infringer, as lead appellate counsel, in an appeal to the Federal Circuit; obtained affirmation of a judgment of noninfringement in a patent case involving a method for selecting the color of artificial teeth.*
- An international pharmaceutical company, as appellate counsel, in an appeal to the Federal Circuit; obtained affirmance of a judgment of patent infringement.*
- Kiva Brands, as lead counsel, in several cases, including a trademark infringement case and a consumer class action.
- PAX Labs, as lead counsel, in numerous consumer class actions and individual cases in federal and state courts around the country.
- Intrexon, as lead IP licensing counsel, on license agreements relating to Intrexon’s non-clonal plant propagation technology.
- Additionally, Mr. Schuman provides strategic and regulatory advice to Fortune 100 companies, non-U.S. companies, and others regarding U.S. federal and state cannabis laws and regulations. Mr. Schuman also supports deal teams doing cannabis industry deals.
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2014, Mr. Schuman was a partner at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in San Francisco, where he led that firm’s litigation practice in its San Francisco and Palo Alto offices and was deputy leader of its IP practice. Before beginning his private practice, Mr. Schuman served as a law clerk to the Honorable Alan B. Handler of the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey.