Mr. Segalis advises clients across industries including financial services, fintech, insurtech, technology, big data and data brokerage, life sciences, cybersecurity, consumer product and services, e-commercial, media and entertainment, gaming, hospitality, transportation, prop tech, government, and others.
His recent representative experience includes advising:
- Advise multiple companies on the development and implementation of digital contact tracing and facility access solutions designed to mitigate the effects of COVID-19
- Advise an enterprise solutions provider on the implementation of biometric identification for call recording and use of data for machine learning
- Advise a business intelligence company on the collection of business contact information in the US and Europe
- Advise a global cybersecurity software company on compliance with CCPA in connection with threat intelligence data collection
- Advise clinical stage life sciences companies on collection and cross-border transfer of clinical trial data, and engagement with vendors, CRO and other partners
- Advise a connected medical device company on engagement with clinical trial partners
- Advise a fintech company on the implementation of a comprehensive information security program, compliance with the FCRA Red Flags Rule, compliance with NY DFS cybersecurity regulations and implementation of a third party risk management process
- Advise a transportation authority on the implementation of the development and implementation of a vendor management program
- Advise a proptech company on the establishment of a consumer reporting agency, subject to FCRA
- Advise multiple fintech and insurech companies on compliance with the CCPA and the delineation of CCPA and GLBA data.
- Advise a global media company on the implementation of online marketing programs and attribution tracking.
- Advise a financial services and payment company on the establishment of data collection and sharing relationships with merchants and issuers
- Advise a restaurant mobile ordering platform on compliance with CCPA and GLBA in connection with engagement with restaurants globally
- Advise a focus group provider on privacy practice in connection with biometric data collection for product evaluation
- Advise a data analytics company on the development of a variety of data analytics products and services leveraging clinical trial data
- Advise a digital health company on the collection and processing of user and coach data
- Advise a European financial services company on compliance with GDPR in connection with a service providing background checks for fund managers globally
- Advise a digital identity company on the development and implementation of digital identity products and partnerships
- Advise a global travel agency on compliance with the GDPR, including to facilitate engagement with customers
- Advise a global media company on compliance with GDPR and CCPA
Incidents and Investigations
- Advise large retailers on the handling of consequences of the Shopify data incident, including notification of regulators and over 10 million consumer globally, and follow-up regulatory inquiries
- Advise a business process software companies on a data incident that affected over 600K users globally
- Advise a global travel company on payment card incident that affected over 1 million consumers globally
- Represent an AI photo editing app in an FTC privacy inquiry, and resolve the inquiry with the investigation closed
- Represent a local threat information provider in an FTC privacy inquiry, and resolve the inquiry with the investigation closed
- Represent a transportation authority in connection with a vendor cyber incident involving emergency communications
- Serve as the court-appointed consumer privacy ombudsman in the CraftWorks bankruptcy proceedings
- Advise a IoT crib manufacturer in connection with attempts to publicize false allegations of the device’s cyber vulnerabilities
- Advise a life sciences company on several cyber incidents affecting clinical trial data
- Advise a leading fintech company on a cyber fraud investigation
- Advise BroadCom on the acquisition of Symantec
- Advise a privacy equity firm on the acquisition of a biometric interviewing platform
- Advise a fintech company on the development of white label / API lead generation platform for financial institutions
- 4C Insights on its agreement to sell to software advertising provider Mediaocean, a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners*
- SevenRooms, a data-driven guest experience platform for the hospitality industry, on its $50 million Series B funding round*
- Aircall on its $65 million Series C financing*
- PeopleDoc, a cloud-based HR company, on its agreement to sell to Ultimate Software, a provider of human capital management software solutions, for approximately $300 million*
- Arlo Technologies, the leading internet-connected camera brand, on its agreement to enter into a strategic partnership with Verisure Sàrl*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining to Goodwin, Mr. Segalis was most recently the Vice Chair of the Cyber/Data/Privacy practice at Cooley LLP in New York.Mr. Segalis began his career in the aerospace industry where he worked as an engineer on the Space Shuttle and other space programs.
Mr. Segalis is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), has previously served as co-chair of NYC IAPP KnowledgeNet and served on the IAPP’s Research Board. Mr. Segalis also serves as one of the leaders of the UJA privacy and cybersecurity group.