Ms. Shapiro has represented clients in federal and state courts throughout the United States and in proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission. Representative work includes:
- Member of lead defense team for Countrywide Financial Corporation in numerous securities fraud lawsuits nationwide. Countrywide was formerly an S&P 100 corporation and one of the largest mortgage lenders in the United States prior to its acquisition by Bank of America. Representative work for Countrywide includes:
- Succeeded in having Second Circuit Court of Appeals affirm dismissal of securities fraud suit brought by multi-billion dollar off-shore hedge fund against Countrywide, alleging losses of $700 million on purchases of common stock.
- Won dismissal for Countrywide of securities class action litigation brought in federal court in California on behalf of a putative class of qualified institutional buyers of approximately $4 billion of Countrywide debentures sold through private placements.
- Represented Countrywide in suit brought by the Federal Housing Finance Agency involving approximately $26 billion in mortgage-backed securities that were purchased by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Won critical discovery ruling, which was followed soon thereafter by settlement.
- Negotiated very high-profile $600 million settlement of securities class action brought on behalf of purchasers of Countrywide common stock and debt securities, alleging $26 billion in damages.
- Negotiated very high-profile $500 million settlement of securities class actions brought on behalf of purchasers of $350 billion of mortgage-backed securities issued by Countrywide in 429 offerings involving nearly 9,500 separate securities offered.
- Other representative work includes:
- Negotiated settlement documents in securities fraud class action brought in federal court in New York on behalf of investors in European hedge fund.
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of former chairman and CEO of multi-billion government contractor in securities class action in federal court in New York arising out of municipal billing scandal.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of securities class action litigation filed in federal court in New Jersey relating to the initial public offering of the world’s leading electronic market for the trading of telephone call and data communications capacity.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of securities class action litigation filed in federal court in Boston against a leading life sciences company relating to the timing of FDA approval of a leading anti-schizophrenia drug.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of securities class action litigation filed in federal court in New Hampshire against the world’s leading manufacturer of digital printing technology.
- Represented an accounting firm in securities class action filed in federal court in New York and regulatory matters pertaining to the firm’s audits of a public company accused of running a Ponzi scheme.
- Represented national web portal in securities class action litigation filed in federal court in Boston arising out of its announcement of a proposed multibillion-dollar merger with USA Networks.
- Negotiated approximately 30 settlement agreements for various clients with counterparties such as pension funds, hedge funds, mutual funds, government entities and private companies.
- Represented numerous clients in regulatory proceedings brought by the SEC and other regulators relating to possible accounting irregularities, the accuracy and completeness of corporate disclosures to investors, and securities trading by corporate officers and directors, among other matters.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Ms. Shapiro was an associate in the Litigation Practice Group at Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault LLP in Boston. Before that, she was an associate in the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom, LLP.