Mr. Smith’s work focuses on land-use law and complex mixed-use development work in and around the Boston area. Highlights of his recent work include:
- Ongoing zoning and permitting work for a 350,000 square foot lab development in Somerville.
- Drafting agreements and analyzing Planned Development Area zoning for 1 million square foot development consisting of ground lease and air rights in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Zoning and permitting analysis for private developer of a residential development in Needham, Massachusetts on 6.0 acres for a 136-unit development including 40B.
- Analyzing the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), State Implementation Plan (SIP), and federal Clean Air Act (CAA) as the basis for policy development by a Massachusetts state agency.
- Drafting strategy memorandum for 320-acre land-use project involving MEPA issues, Massachusetts Article 97 land swap, Home Rule petition, and rezoning and permitting.
- Representing the investor in the acquisition of a 15-acre medical facility for redevelopment, requiring analyses of bankruptcy, title reversion, and tolling agreements.