Mr. Smith’s work focuses on real estate transactions and real estate development. Highlights of his recent work include:
- Drafted agreements and analyzed Planned Development Area zoning for 1 million square foot development consisting of ground lease and air rights in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Zoning and permitting analysis for private developer of a residential development in Needham, Massachusetts on 6.0 acres for a 136-unit development including 40B.
- Analyzed the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), State Implementation Plan (SIP), and federal Clean Air Act (CAA) as the basis for policy development by a Massachusetts state agency.
- Drafted strategy memorandum for 320-acre land-use project involving MEPA issues, Massachusetts Article 97 land swap, Home Rule petition, and rezoning and permitting in Massachusetts.
- Represented a REIT in a $250 million mortgage refinancing for a 50-story building in Denver, Colorado.
- Drafted closing documents for the purchase of a portfolio of office buildings with over 1 million square feet of office space in the Washington D.C. metro area, for a total of $240 million.
- Represented the investor in the acquisition of a 15-acre medical facility for redevelopment, requiring analyses of bankruptcy, title reversion, and tolling agreements, in Massachusetts.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Design Review Committee for the City of Somerville.