Representative clients and matters include:
Patent Portfolio Development
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications relating to automated machine learning as part of the development of an IP portfolio for a start-up valued at over $1 billion
- Counseled an early-stage start-up company on issues of potential patent infringement as a barrier to market entry
- Mined a multi-national client’s patent portfolio to identify claims suitable for assertion against a competitor, and performed infringement analyses on the competitor’s products
- Prepared technical analysis for written opinions relating to invalidity and noninfringement of a competitors’ patents on microprocessor technology
- Represented Bain Capital Tech Opportunities as lead investor in BioCatch’s $145 million Series C round.
- Represented Xeraya Capital in connection with its investment in a portfolio company.
- Represented DST Global VI, LP in its investment in Root Stockholdings, Inc., a car insurance company that uses technology in smartphones to measure driving behavior to identify safe drivers.
- Represented Carbon Black in its $2.1 billion acquisition by VMware.
- Represented Carbon Black in its $152 million IPO.
- Represented Credit Suisse in underwriting Everbridge Inc. in its $90 million IPO. Everbridge is a unified critical communications platform trusted by corporations and communities of all sizes.
- Represented Bregal Sagemount I, LP in its investment in MOBI Wireless Management, LLC, a provider of subscription software and services used to manage the provisioning, contracts, devices, applications, security and costs associated with corporate mobility programs.
Mr. Stone serves as a judge for the MIT $100K Entrepreneurship Launch Competition. He is also a member of the Boston Patent Law Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Stone was an associate in the Electrical and Computing Technologies Group at Wolf, Greenfield & Sacks, P.C. in Boston.
During law school, Sam counseled clients of Harvard University’s Cyberlaw Clinic on matters related to digital reproduction and distribution of books, images, and archived news footage.