Ms. Vu has represented a variety of clients in complex civil litigation matters involving business torts, trademarks, false advertising, trade secrets, and unfair competition. She has also represented the firm’s largest clients in complex contract disputes. In addition, Ms. Vu advises technology clients on contract and regulatory matters.
In recent years,
- Ms. Vu was on an arbitration team that secured a $7+ million attorneys’ fees award on behalf of a luxury hotel management company for prevailing on the claims asserted by a luxury hotel owner for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and various torts arising from the management of a competitive hotel and alleged misuse of certain trademarks and brand materials. This was the second arbitration win for this client in connection with this dispute. In 2014, Ms. Vu was also on the arbitration team that defeated other claims asserted by the owner, resulting at that time in a $10+ million attorneys’ fees award to the client.
- Ms. Vu was the lead associate on the team representing Otto Trucking LLC in Waymo LLC v. Uber Technologies, Inc., a trade secrets misappropriation case involving the technology behind self-driving cars. The Court granted summary judgment in Otto Trucking’s favor, finding that Otto Trucking had no liability for any misappropriation of trade secrets.
- After another law firm’s trial loss resulting in a jury verdict of $160,000 in compensatory damages and $16 million in punitive damages, Ms. Vu was on the Goodwin team that assumed representation of PHH Mortgage Corporation and achieved a complete reversal of this punitive damages award. The California Court of Appeals later affirmed the reversal of the punitive damages award and then also reversed the award of compensatory damages to order a new trial.
The following are additional representative matters:
Trademark, False Advertising, and Unfair Competition Matters
- Representation of multiple companies in the food industry in asserting claims against competitors for trademark infringement and false advertising
- Defense of trademark infringement claims on behalf of start-up companies against senior trademark holders
- Advising a production company on potential trademark claims it may have against a competitor
- Representing a software security company in a dispute concerning breach of contract, copyright infringement, and business torts
- Advising hospitality clients on trademark-related issues, including disputes involving possible breaches of trademark licensing agreements
- Representation of multiple investors in monitoring trademark infringement and right of publicity dispute and responding to subpoenas relating to those investments
- Defense of a technology company in false advertising case brought by competitor based on the client’s advertisement of free services
- Representing a skincare company in action involving trademark infringement, false advertising, and business tort claims against founder and founder’s subsequent, competing skincare company
Trade Secrets Matters
- Representation of a supply chain and SAAS company in trade secret claim against former employee
- Defense of electric car company against trade secret misappropriation claims brought by former employer
Commercial Contract Disputes
- Representation of fund in joint venture dispute against defaulting managing member, which resulted in judgments totaling over $70 million
- Employment litigation and partnership dispute on behalf of private equity fund
- Multiple post-closing disputes on behalf of private equity funds
- Representation of joint venture in breach of a guaranty of payment for a $440 million construction project
- Representation of hotel owner in dispute with former buyer regarding termination of purchase of luxury hotel
- Multiple joint venture disputes on behalf of institutional clients
Pro Bono Matters
- Representation of a Honduran asylum applicant in deportation and expungement proceedings
- Submission of amicus brief filed before the U.S. Supreme Court in case involving denial of constitutional right to speedy trial
- Representation of plaintiff in Section 1983 medical indifference claim that resulted in a significant monetary settlement for the client
- Representation of non-profit organization in submitting an amicus brief on the discredited parental alienation syndrome that has been improperly used in custody proceedings filed in the Ohio Supreme Court