Thomas Beaudoin is a partner in the firm’s Business Law Department and a member of its Private Investment Funds practice. A leader in the field of fund formation, Mr. Beaudoin advises venture capital and private equity funds, and his clients include premier venture capitalists in the United States, Israel and other technology centers, as well as small and mid-sized private equity funds. He also represents institutional investors in the United States and abroad in their investments in all types of private investment funds. Mr. Beaudoin’s clients include Canaan Partners, Emergence Capital Partners, Accomplice, Kreos Capital, Pitango Ventures, Viola Group and WestView Capital. He joined Goodwin in 2012.
Mr. Beaudoin served on the Advisory Board to Asset Alternatives’ survey of “Private Equity Partnership Terms and Conditions,” as well as on the Advisory Committee of The Association for Private Partnerships at Boston Private Bank & Trust Co. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2012, Mr. Beaudoin was partner at WilmerHale, where he chaired its Fund Formation Practice group. Previously, he was partner at Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault.
The George Washington University Law School
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Beaudoin has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law 2022-2023.
Mr. Beaudoin has been recognized as a Massachusetts leader in the private equity field in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA and Chambers Global for his work in Venture Capital Fund Formation and Chambers MA 2021 for his work in Private Equity Fund Formation. Mr. Beaudoin was a 2021 and 2022 recommended lawyer for Private equity funds (including venture capital) by The Legal 500. He was named a “Leading Lawyer” in the area of investment fund formation and management: venture capital funds in 2009 edition of The Legal 500 United States, as well as a “New England Super Lawyer” in corporate law from 2008-2011 by Boston magazine. He is listed in Legal Media Group’s 2008 Guide to the World’s Leading Private Equity Lawyers, in the 2008 and 2011 editions of Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Private Funds Lawyers, and in Best Lawyers in the area of private funds law. Mr. Beaudoin has been listed in each edition of Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers since 2004. He has also been recognized by the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 in the area of investment fund formation and management: private equity funds.
Mr. Beaudoin is co-author of “Trends in the Private Equity Secondary Market,” Business Law Today (March/April 2009) and “Indicators Point to a Busy Year for Venture Investors,” Boston Business Journal (February 18, 2005).
He speaks frequently at private equity industry-sponsored events. Some of his more recent presentations include:
- Speaker, Goodwin Procter Seminar - SEC Lifting the Ban on General Solicitation, (August 1, 2013)
- Speaker, Institutional Limited Partners Association (ILPA) Members Conference – Impacts and Implications of United States and European Financial Reform Legislation on Private Equity Funds and their Limited Partners, (June 11, 2013)
- Speaker, Goodwin Procter Breakfast Briefing - The European AIFM Directive Update for Non-European Fund Managers, (May 9, 2013)
- Speaker, Kreos Capital Annual Meeting – Moderator: Limited Partner Panel (March 21, 2013)
- Speaker, Dow Jones Webinar – The JOBS Act: How it Will Change Fundraising for PE Firms, (October 24, 2012)
- Speaker, ILPA Webcast Series – Dodd-Frank and the New Investment Advisers Act Registration Requirements, (April 12, 2012)
- Speaker, Dow Jones PEA Webinar – “Raising a Fund in 2012: What LPs Want”, (January 20, 2012)
- Speaker, Boston Private Bank & Trust Company – “The Alternative Asset Landscape: An LP Perspective”, (June 1, 2011)
- Speaker, Dow Jones PEA Webinar – “Raising Capital From Public Pensions: What Firms Need to Know and Do”, (April 14, 2011)
- Speaker, American Conference Institute’s 18th Private Equity Summit – “Trends in the GP & LP Relationship: Best Strategic Practices for Aligning Interests in Light of the Post-Recessionary Economy, Dodd-Frank and the ILPA Guidelines”, (February 24, 2011)
- Speaker, Private Equity Analyst Outlook Conference – “Raising a Fund in 2011: What Will it Take?”, (January 25, 2011)