Laura Brys is a Senior Attorney in the Complex Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice at Goodwin. She started at the firm in 2022. Ms. Brys is a commercial litigator with a range of experience in both industries and scale of corporations from large financial institutions, mining companies, utility companies and public corporations to mid-size broker dealers and manufacturing companies. She presently concentrates her legal practice in defending financial institutions and servicers on litigation, related to and arising under the Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA), Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices laws (UDAP), Unfair Competition Laws (UCL), and other consumer statutes and regulations.
Her representative matters include:
- Successful defense of Fortune 50 bank relating to high value real estate residential litigation on summary judgment.*
- Prevailing on summary judgment as to 10 adversary proceedings in bankruptcy relating to FCRA and breach of contract claims against financial institutions.*
- Managed class action against a financial institution related to state court collections litigation.*
- Negotiated a settlement for a manufacturing company relating to California toxic tort litigation.*
- Represented a communications company at trial related to real estate issues.*
- Succeeded on two appeals with the Ninth Circuit related to summary judgment motions on Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) litigation.*
- Represented common carrier company related to wage and hour class action lawsuit.*
- Represented various global insurance companies related to art litigation.*
- Prevailed on summary judgment for financial institution clients related to bankruptcy stay and discharge injunction claims.*
- Represented telecommunications companies related to various real estate pre-litigation issues.*
- Represented a financial institution on consumer claims in two separate jury trials, in both of which the institution prevailed on directed verdict.*
- Negotiated dozens of beneficial settlements for financial institutions.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
Prior to joining Goodwin, Ms. Brys supervised a large docket of financial services and consumer litigation, in addition to handling a portfolio of CERCLA cases at McGuireWoods LLP. Additionally, she was seconded with the Consumer Litigation team at Bank of America, N.A., where she managed varied complex mortgage, credit card, deposit and other high-risk litigation. Her prior legal experience includes General Counsel for a physical therapy company and associate at Burris, Schoenberg & Walden, LLP, where she worked on, among other things, insurance defense, employment, Proposition 65, copyright and Nazi-looted art recovery litigation.
Prior to practicing law, Ms. Brys worked in the healthcare industry for managed care companies and hospital systems in a variety of medical, database programming and billing roles.
USC Gould School of Law
The Johns Hopkins University
The Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, Bologna Center
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit