Edwina Clarke is a partner in the firm’s Litigation department and a member of its Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation practice. Edwina’s work focuses on appellate matters and complex civil litigation in federal courts, and she has experience in a wide range of areas including ERISA litigation, patent litigation, and constitutional law. Edwina has drafted and contributed to briefs in numerous state and federal appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. She has also authored and contributed to dispositive motions in trial courts throughout the country. Edwina also maintains an active pro bono practice, with recent experience in immigration, criminal, and housing law.
Before joining Goodwin in 2017, Edwina served as a law clerk for Justice Stephen G. Breyer and Justice David H. Souter of the U.S. Supreme Court. She has also clerked for Judge David J. Barron of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Judge J. Paul Oetken of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, and Judge Stephen R. Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Co-Authored briefs in the Federal Circuit on behalf of a leading pharmaceutical manufacturer successfully appealing a preliminary injunction barring the sale of a generic drug for the treatment of opioid use disorder. See Indivior Inc. v. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, S.A., 752 Fed. App’x 1024(Fed. Cir. 2018).
- Co-Authored briefs in the Federal Circuit successfully defending a judgment of non-infringement in a patent case. See Indivior Inc. v. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, S.A., 930 F.3d 1325 (Fed. Cir. 2019).
- Represented Harvard University in suits in federal and state court alleging violations of Title IX and the Massachusetts Civil Rights Act.
- Co-Authored briefs on behalf of 401(k) service providers in the District of Massachusetts and the Southern District of Texas in putative class actions alleging breaches of fiduciary duties under ERISA and violations of ERISA’s prohibited-transaction provisions.
Yale Law School
U.S. Supreme Court, Honorable Stephen G. Breyer
U.S. Supreme Court, Honorable David H. Souter
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Honorable David J. Barron
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Honorable J. Paul Oetken
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Honorable Stephen R. Reinhardt
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Recognition & Awards
Edwina was named to Benchmark Litigation’s “40 & Under Hot List” for 2023. She was recognized as a One to Watch in Appellate Practice by The Best Lawyers in America 2023. She was also listed in the Legal 500 US for her work in Appellate.