Patrick Deasy is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Equity group and specializes in Private Investment Funds practice. He also serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s ESG & Impact practice.
Mr. Deasy's practice focuses on private capital solutions across various alternative asset classes, including private equity, real estate and energy and infrastructure, in Europe and in developing markets. Mr. Deasy acts for general partners on structuring and formation of direct funds, funds of funds, permanent capital vehicles, asset management platforms, co-investment vehicles and segregated accounts, management and investment advisory companies, carried interest, co-investment scheme and other compensation schemes and for institutional investors on their investments in to investment funds and other private capital vehicles.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Deasy was a partner and co-head of the Africa Group at King & Wood Mallesons (formerly SJ Berwin).
Sample transactions include acting for:
- EBITDA Investments on its co-investment alongside Bain Capital Credit in relation to the acquisition of Gail’s Bakery, a popular UK bakery chain
- Longstanding client Novastar Ventures on the structuring and fundraising of its latest fund, Novastar Ventures Africa Fund II which raised $108 million
- Aureos Capital on multiple fundraisings*
- Berkeley Energy on all its renewable energy funds*
- First State Investments on its Euro 2 billion European Diversified Infrastructure Fund*
- Investec Asset Management on carried interest and executive compensation schemes*
- Patron Capital on its European real estate funds IV and V*
- QIC on its first global infrastructure fund
- South Suez Capital on its $500m pan-African fund of funds*
A major international development finance institution on an Africa and Asia-focused small-and medium-sized enterprise (SME) project.*
Mr. Deasy has represented Aureos Capital, Berkeley Energy, First State Investments, GMT Communications, Novastar Ventures, Patron Capital, QIC, Satya Capital and, on the LP side, UK pension funds, development finance institutions, funds of funds, the UK’s Department for International Development and major family offices.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Bachelor of Laws1989
University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Mr. Deasy was a key delegate at Infrastructure Investor, a conference we sponsor each year. He led the partner team by attending and helping with planning for select client and prospect meetings. In 2021, Patrick moderated “Sectors in focus: What will be the next digital?” at the conference.
- Mr. Deasy was a panelist on “Annual Funds Sector Updates – Infrastructure,” Goodwin Webinar (June 16, 2021).
- Mr. Deasy was a panelist on “Goodwin Fundraising Workshop: What You Need to Know,” Goodwin Webinar (December 1, 2020).
- Mr. Deasy was a co-author on “Private Equity Comment: Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation, ELTIFs, and ESG issues relating to ERISA”
- Mr. Deasy was a co-author on “ESG and The Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation”