Brian Mukherjee, a counsel in Goodwin's Complex Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice, concentrates on insurance and risk management matters for financial institutions, technology companies, private equity firms and other business clients. He joined Goodwin in 2000.
Mr. Mukherjee advises corporations, directors and officers, risk managers, and other professionals on insurance coverage, corporate indemnification, and litigation matters. He also has extensive experience in the negotiation and review of the terms and conditions in executive and professional liability policies, including cyber risk and related coverages. In addition, Mr. Mukherjee assists the firm’s clients in evaluating insurance coverages in connection with initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Mr. Mukherjee’s broad litigation experience includes the resolution of complex commercial disputes through both judicial and alternative dispute resolution proceedings, and coordinating responses on behalf of corporate clients to governmental and self-regulatory organization investigations.
Mr. Mukherjee is a member of the Boston, Massachusetts and American Bar Associations and the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS).
Boston College Law School
(magna cum laude)
Rhode Island Supreme Court, Honorable John Bourcier
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Mukherjee has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers 2023 for his work in Insurance Law.
Mr. Mukherjee was a 2021 recommended lawyer for Cyber Law by The Legal 500.
Mr. Mukherjee has written articles and assisted in numerous presentations on corporate governance and risk management-related topics.
Mr. Mukherjee's recent presentations include:
- “Exploring The Link Between Cyber Risk, Data Breach and D&O Liability” ACI Cyber Risk & Data Security Forum (April 2018)
- “Risk Transfer Solutions to Enable Business” ABA Insurance Risk Management Forum (January 2018)
- “Wire-Transfer Scams: Is There Insurance Against Them?” Boston Bar Association (October 2017)
- “Representations and Warranties Coverage: A Growing Force in M&A Deals,” Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) (May 2017)
- “The State of the D&O Marketplace,” 13th Annual D&O Insurance ExecuSummit Conference (May 2017)
- “Transactional Insurance Products, ” ACI M&A Liability Conference (October 2016)
- “The State of the D&O Marketplace,” 12th Annual National Directors & Officers Insurance ExecuSummit Conference (May 2016)
- “The Art of the Deal: Recent Deal Trends and the Impact of Reps & Warranties Insurance on M&A Transactions,” Inaugural Reps & Warranties & Transactional Liability Insurance ExecuSummit Conference (May 2016)
- “M&A 101: How Deals are Done,” Inaugural Reps & Warranties & Transactional Liability Insurance ExecuSummit Conference (May 2016)
Mr. Mukherjee has written and been quoted in articles for numerous publications, including:
- “6 Things You Need to Know About Insuring Cryptocurrency” Independent Agent Magazine (March 2018)
- “Insurance For Cryptocurrencies: Tips For Maximizing Coverage” Fintech Flash (January 2018)
- “Building an Effective Bank Liability Insurance Program” (co-author) BankDirector.com (November 2017)
- “The Wild West of Cyber Insurance: What Companies Need to Know,” (quoted) Inside Counsel (May 2017)
- “Tips For Executives To Maximize D&O Coverage,” (quoted) Law360 (June 2016)
- “Building a Better D&O Insurance Program” (co-author) Corporate Secretary (October 2016)
- “Executive Risks: A Boardroom Guide 2012/2013,” (contributor) White Page Ltd./Willis FINEX Global (2012)
- “Handbook on Additional Insureds,” (contributor) American Bar Association (2011)