Matthew Nortcliff is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Investment Funds group. Matthew advises managers on the establishment, operation, and regulatory matters of a wide range of funds, structured investments and joint ventures with a particular focus on the real assets, venture capital, and technology sectors. He also advises investors on their fund investments and corporate/ real asset transactions across Asia and globally.
Matthew is recognized as a Leading Lawyer in both Legal 500 and Chambers directories. His client base includes institutional GPs and LPs, boutique fund managers, and major regional property investors.
Chambers quoted a client who described him as “a standout partner who delivers an excellent level of client service while being commercially sensitive to the wider transaction… Balancing efficiency, client focus, pragmatism, and sound advice is often difficult, but Matthew does it exceptionally well.” The Legal 500 quoted a client who praised him for being “very professional in the engagement. He goes beyond the call and I certainly appreciate his working style. He is quick, sharp and to the point.”
Matthew is a regular industry speaker on real estate funds and investment, fund tokenization, blockchain and ESG, and is an active member of both ANREV Technology and Innovation Working Group and the ULI Sustainability Council.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Matthew was head of CMS’ Funds and Indirect Real Estate Practice in Asia, and has been based in Singapore since 2010.
- Makers Fund on the establishment and closing of Makers Fund III, a $500m VC fund focused on interactive entertainment, established as a Singapore variable capital company (VCC), which is one of the largest VCC funds ever launched*
- Play Ventures on the establishment and closing of Play Ventures Fund II, a $175m VC fund focused on the global gaming sector, established as a Singapore VCC*
- UBS Asset Management on the acquisition and recapitalization of Avanath’s $248m ‘Elevate Portfolio’ comprising 2,085 affordable housing units across 14 multifamily communities in the US through Avanath Affordable Housing I, LLC*
- Play Ventures on the establishment and closing of Play Future Fund, an $80m Web3 VC fund focused on blockchain-driven investments and digital assets in the online gaming sector*
- GSA Group on the establishment, closing, and term extension, of a JPY 10bn club fund established to own, develop, and operate a major PBSA asset in Hakusan District, Tokyo*
- Play Ventures on the establishment and closing of the Play Ventures Opportunity Fund, a $125m VC fund established to participate in later stage follow-on opportunities originated via Play Venture’s three early stage VC funds*
- Oryx Real Estate Partners on the establishment and closing of a series of club funds with total AUM in excess of £300m that acquire and develop office assets in the United Kingdom*
- Ship Street Advisors on the establishment and closing of UKRO II LP, a real estate fund targeting UK office assets with capital sourced predominantly from Hong Kong and Mainland China*
- Play Ventures on the establishment and closing of Play Ventures Fund I, Play’s debut fund that raised $40m to invest in early stage gaming and gaming-related opportunities*
- UBS Asset Management on in excess on $15bn of fund investments into APAC, US and global real estate funds, often as a cornerstone investor*
- LaSalle Investment Management on multiple real estate fund investments, club deals and secondary transactions across the APAC region*
- The UK pension funds of Atos and BAA on in excess of $5bn of fund investments into funds across all sectors including, most recently, several ESG-focused funds*
- LaSalle and Bouwinvest on their 49% investment into a Logos-managed joint venture established to acquire and develop the REC solar Power manufacturing and warehouse facility in Tuas, Singapore for a total acquisition price of $450m, the largest Singapore real estate transaction in 2019*
- Abrdn on multiple fund investments into APAC and European real estate funds*
- Clients of Willis Towers Watson on over £500m of investments into funds and structures investment products*
- Aldar Properties on multiple proptech VC fund investments, covering APAC, European, and US fund strategies*
* Denotes experience before joining Goodwin.
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice
University of Exeter
- England & Wales