Brynn Peltz is a partner in Goodwin’s Financial Industry, Investment Management and Private Investment Funds practices.
With more than 25 years’ experience, Brynn represents domestic and off-shore investment managers on the formation, offering and operation of investment products including hedge, private equity, real estate and venture funds, fund of funds, joint ventures, registered investment companies, (including exchange traded funds), CLOs and CDOs, business development companies and separate accounts. Brynn represents clients on formation, mergers, acquisitions, spinouts, and succession plans of investment managers. She also advises clients on issues relating to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the Investment Company Act of 1940 including registration and compliance matters. She regularly represents clients before the SEC and its staff in connection with examinations, exemptive orders, and other matters.
Brynn’s recent representative engagements include:
- Representing leading real estate manager in spinout of its multi-family and single family rental housing development fund business
- Representing a fintech manager in connection with the structuring and launching of investment management platform
- The acquisition of funds and portfolio management team by major alternative asset manager
- The creation of an internal wealth management program for a major professional services firm
- Representing one of the largest retail fund managers in the launch of its alternative investment platform
- Representing a variety of asset managers, including hedge, private equity, real estate, and venture managers in compliance matters including registrations, filings, SEC examinations and responses to comments
Brynn is a member of the New York City Bar Association Private Investment Funds Committee, and has been a member of its Investment Management Regulation Committee. Brynn is also a member of Goodwin Procter’s Women’s Investment Management Forum.
Cornell Law School
- New York
Recognition & Awards
Brynn is widely recognized as an industry leader in the investment management industry and has been recognized by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Legal 500, and Euromoney Institutional Investors’ Women in Business Law Expert Guide.
Brynn is a frequent speaker on industry topics and is regularly called upon by the media for industry commentary. Her presentations and media appearances include:
- Panelist, “All Things Regulatory,” TechGC VCGC Conference, October, 2022
- Co-Author, “Newly Appointed Federal Watchdogs Warn They are Focused on Private Funds,” Goodwin Client Alert, April 07, 2022
- Co-Author, “SEC Proposes New Rules Applicable to SPACs and Certain Reverse Mergers,” Goodwin Client Alert, March 31, 2022
- Co-Author, “SEC Cybersecurity Rules Target Investment Advisers and Investment Companies,” Goodwin Client Alert, February 10, 2022
- Panelist, Real Estate Private Equity CCO Forum, 2017
- Panelist, “Spotlight on M&A and Fund Structure Issues for Managers,” Managed Funds Association Legal & Compliance, 2017
- Author, “Five Minutes to Comply Action Items – Pay to Play Rules,” Private Equity International, 2017
- Author, “OCIE to Investment Advisers: Focus on These Five Problem Areas,” Journal of Investment Compliance, 2017
- Panelist, “Marketing a Private Fund,” 8th Annual Women’s Alternative Investment Summit, 2016
- Panelist, “Investor Reporting and Communications – What are the Best Strategies for Navigating Domestic and Global Restrictions on What We Say, When We Say It, and How We Say It?,” NAREIM Legal and Compliance Council, 2015
- Panelist, “Transparency: A Clear View of Fees and Expenses,” PERE CFOs and COOs Forum, 2015
- Panelist, “Marketing Issues Under the Microscope,” Managed Fund Associations’ Compliance 2014 Conference, 2014
- Panelist, “The JOBS Act and its Implications for Marketing of Investment Funds,” National Association of Real Estate Investment Managers Legal and Compliance Council Meeting, 2013
- Panelist, “Dodd-Frank a Year On: Where Is the Compliance Industry Now?,” PEI Private Fund Compliance Forum, 2013
- Panelist, “Regulatory Developments and Hot Button Issues,” Financial Research Associates Private Equity Operations and Compliance Forum, 2013
- Panelist, “Tapping Distribution Channels/New Product Development,” 40 Act Mutual Funds Seminar, Infovest 21, 2013
- Contributor, “Washington Update,” PREA Quarterly, 2013
- Quoted, “SEC Makes Strides to Strengthen Oversight,” Pension & Investments, 2013