Jeff Rummler is a counsel in the firm’s Business Law department and a member of the Technology and Life Sciences groups. He specializes in domestic and international intellectual property portfolio strategy, patent prosecution, patent validity and infringement opinion drafting, patentability and freedom to operate analyses, technology transactions and licensing, and intellectual property support in mergers, acquisitions, IPOs, sales, and investment transactions.
Jeff’s experience as an engineer and in patent prosecution and counseling extends to a variety of technological fields, including chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer software, scientific computing, data processing, composite materials, polymer/material science, fluid mechanics, heat/mass transfer, and coating/printing processes.
Jeff is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and New Hampshire only; he is working under the supervision of DC-admitted lawyers at Goodwin.
Representative clients and matters include:
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications directed to composite materials, adhesive products, sensor technology, online gaming, mobile advertising, data encryption, machine learning, data processing, pharmaceuticals and other technical fields
- Performing freedom-to-operate, patentability, validity and infringement analyses
- Performing intellectual property diligence and preparing transaction documents for numerous transactions, including:
- Charlesbank Capital Partners in its acquisition and subsequent sale of Plaskolite, North America’s largest manufacturer of transparent thermoplastic sheet products
- Behrman Capital in its acquisition of Carr Management, Inc., a specialized manufacturer of blow-molded, high-density polyethylene bottles for the dairy, water, food, industrial and nutraceutical industries
- TA Associates in its investment in Gamma Technologies, Inc., a provider of multi-physics CAE system simulation software
- Steele Compliance Solutions, Inc. in its acquisition of Osprey Compliance Software, a premier provider of corporate compliance and oversight solutions
- Tailwind Capital Partners in its sale of Longs Drugs Inc., an independent specialty pharmacy
Prior to becoming an attorney, Jeff spent 14 years working as an engineer for Goss International, Inc. in Dover/Durham, New Hampshire. He is a co-inventor of U.S. Pat. No. 5,842,417.
Before joining Goodwin, Jeff was an intern at Davidson, Davidson and Kappel, LLC in New York City and at Grossman, Tucker, Perreault, and Pfleger, PLLC in Manchester, New Hampshire.
University of New Hampshire School of Law
(magna cum laude)
University of New Hampshire
University of New Hampshire
- New Hampshire
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Recognition & Awards
While attending law school, Jeff was a Senior Articles Editor for the Pierce Law Review.