Joe Theis, a partner in Goodwin's Technology Companies and Capital Markets practices, concentrates in general corporate and securities law and has significant experience in capital markets transactions, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financings, SEC compliance and corporate governance. Mr. Theis represents public and private emerging growth technology and healthcare companies, as well as venture capital funds and investment banks focusing on technology and healthcare companies. He has experience advising companies through every stage of the corporate life cycle – from initial financing through successful initial public offering or acquisition.
Listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2014, Mr. Theis captures attention for his capital markets practice, often featuring significant IPOs. He is viewed as ”very knowledgeable, collaborative and has a solution-oriented approach."
Mr. Theis’ representative clients include HubSpot, Brightcove, Xeris Pharmaceuticals, PointClickCare, Workhuman, MeridianLink, Interactions and Lucid. His transactional experience includes the following capital markets transactions and mergers and acquisitions:
- MeridianLink, a digital lending software platform, in its initial public offering on the NYSE
- Dynatrace, a software intelligence platform, in its initial public offering on the NYSE and subsequent follow-on equity offerings
- HubSpot, an inbound marketing and sales platform, in its initial public offering on the NYSE, 144A convertible note offering and subsequent follow-on equity offerings
- Morgan Stanley and other leading investment banks in Sailpoint’s initial public offering on the NYSE, 144A convertible note and subsequent follow-on equity offerings
- Xeris Pharmaceuticals, a pharmaceutical company leveraging its non-aqueous formulation technology platforms to develop and commercialize ready-to-use injectable and infusible drug formulations, in its initial public offering on NASDAQ and subsequent equity and debt follow-on offerings
- Leading investment banks in Oscar Health’s initial public offering on the NYSE
- Leading investment banks in Knowbe4’s initial public offering on the NYSE
- Leading investment banks in Acacia Communication’s initial public offering on NASDAQ and subsequent follow-on offering
- Leading investment banks, including CS and Morgan Stanley, in Endurance’s initial public offering on NASDAQ and subsequent offerings
- Borderfree, a provider of international cross-border ecommerce solutions, in its initial public offering on NASDAQ
- Opower, a provider of cloud-based software to the utility industry, in its initial public offering on the NYSE
- J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley in Trivago’s initial public offering on NASDAQ
Mergers and Acquisitions
- SailPoint Technologies in its sale to Thoma Bravo
- Neos Therapeutics in its sale to Aytu BioScience
- Virtusa in its sale to Baring Private Equity Asia
- Borderfree in its sale to Pitney Bowes
- PointClickCare in its acquisitions of QuickMAR, Collective Medical technologies and Clinical Outcomes Management Systems
- HubSpot in its acquisition of Motion AI and The Hustle
- Brightcove in its acquisitions of Ooyala, Unicorn Media and Zencoder
- Celcite Management Solutions, a provider of self-optimizing network and network management solutions, in its sale to Amdocs
- NameMedia, a leading marketplace for premium domain names, in its sale of assets to GoDaddy
- Endeca Technologies, a provider of unstructured data management, web commerce and business intelligence solutions, in its sale to Oracle
- Level One, an apartment software services firm, in its sale to RealPage
- athenahealth in its acquisitions of Anodyne Health and Proxsys
Mr. Theis is a member of the Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations. He has also served as a mentor for the MIT $100K Business Plan Competition and has been a guest lecturer at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2005, Mr. Theis was an associate in the Business Practice Group at Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault in Boston.
Boston College Law School
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Theis has been consistently ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for both Capital Markets and Venture Capital Investments. In the 2023 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Mr. Theis is described as “an experienced corporate practitioner who assists technology companies with IPOs and follow-on offerings“ and “often called upon by startups and early-stage companies to advise on inbound financing work, particularly for businesses in the technology and healthcare fields.” Theis is consistently a recommended lawyer for Capital markets: equity offerings by The Legal 500 US. Mr. Theis has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for his work in Corporate Law 2022-2023.
In 2013, he was named to the Boston Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” list – a group of business leaders who, according to the BBJ, represent the next wave of talent and commitment in the Boston economy. Since 2007, he has been recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer "Rising Star" by Law & Politics and Boston magazine. He has also been named a 2014 Boston “Rising Star” by the National Law Journal. Mr. Theis received the 2006 Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project Pro Bono Attorney Award for assisting two Ugandan women with successful asylum applications.