Ray Zemlin, a senior partner in Goodwin’s Technology Companies and Life Sciences groups, focuses primarily on securities law, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate finance matters for medical device and other companies. He has more than 30 years’ experience representing issuers and underwriters in public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, as well as counseling numerous public companies on securities law, governance and other issues. In addition, he has represented purchasers or sellers in hundreds of merger and acquisition transactions, including representing ZOLL Medical in its $2.2 billion sale to Asahi Kasei, and advised managements and boards of directors on a host of corporate governance and related matters.
Mr. Zemlin is a recognized leader in the medical device community and has served on the board of directors of MassMEDIC, the country’s largest medical device industry council.
Mr. Zemlin represents clients primarily in the technology and service industries, with a particular focus in the life sciences and medical device industry. His recent representations include:
- Insulet Corporation, a manufacturer of disposable insulin patch pumps. Mr. Zemlin has represented Insulet for more than 10 years, including with respect to VC and venture debt financings, its IPO, numerous follow-on public offerings, multiple convertible debt offerings and the acquisition of Neighborhood Diabetes.
- UniFirst Corporation, a leader in providing and servicing work wear and protective clothing. Mr. Zemlin has represented UniFirst for more than 30 years, including with respect to its IPO, follow-on offerings and scores of acquisitions. Mr. Zemlin is a trusted advisor to the company, its management and the family that controls it
- ZOLL Medical, a manufacturer of resuscitation and critical care devices and related software solutions. Mr. Zemlin has represented ZOLL for more than 20 years and advised the company on VC financings, its IPO, follow-on public offerings and numerous acquisitions. In 2012, Mr. Zemlin represented ZOLL in its sale to Asahi Kasei for $2.2 billion. Mr. Zemlin continues to represent ZOLL in a range of matters, including several recent acquisitions
- OmniGuide Surgical, a manufacturer of CO2 laser surgical fibers and related products. Mr. Zemlin has represented OmniGuide for several years in a range of matters, including in VC and venture debt financings.
- Caliber I.D., a manufacturer of cellular imaging and diagnostic products for dermatology, surgical and other applications. Mr. Zemlin advised Caliber I.D. in its IPO and has represented it in a range of securities law and other matters.
Mr. Zemlin has served on the board of directors of MassMEDIC, the country's largest medical device industry council. He is also a member of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association.
Cornell Law School
(Order of the Coif)
(summa cum laude)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Zemlin served as articles editor for the Cornell Law Review at Cornell Law School.
Mr. Zemlin has lectured at many seminars concerning securities law and other matters impacting the medical device industry.