Goodwin Procter’s Life Sciences Practice had a particularly active year in 2011, advising clients on more than 200 corporate transactions. With more than 80 venture capital and private equity financings, 70 strategic collaborations, 20 M&A transactions and nearly 30 public securities offerings, Goodwin Procter was among the most active advisers to life sciences companies across various stages of development. From 2011 to present we have advised on transactions totaling nearly $11.5 billion in aggregate value.
The firm’s robust activity in the life sciences sector was most recently noted in 2011 year end industry league tables from VentureSource and BioPharm Insight. Based on deal volume, Goodwin Procter ranked:
- #3 most active legal advisor for life sciences/healthcare venture capital transactions (VentureSource)
- #5 most active legal advisor for biotech/pharma licensing agreements (BioPharm Insight)
Further illustrating Goodwin Procter’s capabilities and volume of activity with respect to corporate finance transactions, in 2011 the firm ranked: #1 most active legal advisor for venture capital transactions in Massachusetts (VentureSource); #1 most active legal advisor for PIPE transactions, representing placement agent (PrivateRaise); #4 most active legal advisor for venture capital and private equity transactions (Private Equity Analyst); Top 10 most active legal advisor for U.S. public offerings, representing issuers and underwriters (Bloomberg); and Top 15 most active legal advisor for M&A transactions in U.S. (mergermarket).
Activity in Q1 2012 has been very strong with the firm’s Life Sciences Practice representing:
- ZOLL Medical in its $2.21 billion sale to Japan’s Asahi Kasei Pharma;
- Avila Therapeutics in its merger with Celgene for up to $925 million in cash and milestone payments;
- Warp Drive Bio its $125 million initial financing and collaboration with Sanofi-Aventis;
- Amarin in its $150 million 144A offering of exchangeable senior notes;
- RaNa Therapeutics in its $21 million Series A financing; and
- Insulet in its worldwide collaboration with LifeScan, a Johnson & Johnson company, to integrate LifeScan's OneTouch® blood glucose monitoring technology into the company’s OmniPod Personal Diabetes Manager.
For additional information about Goodwin Procter’s Life Sciences Practice, please click here.