Mr. DeVoe’s litigation experience includes securities and stockholder litigation; complex partnership and business disputes; appellate litigation; financial consumer protection litigation; and white collar litigation and investigations. Mr. DeVoe has experience in all phases of litigation, including class actions, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, arbitrations, trial, and federal and state court appeals.
Mr. DeVoe’s recent work includes:
- Represented a nationwide healthcare provider at a weeklong bench trial concerning contractual disputes in the purchase and sale agreement of a subsidiary, in which Mr. DeVoe provided an opening statement and conducted several direct and cross-examinations, including of expert witnesses.
- Won dismissal with prejudice in the US District Court for the District of New Jersey following oral argument of a securities class action under Section 10(b) and Rule 10b5-1 against a public life sciences company and its officers arising out of alleged misrepresentations concerning the integration of an acquired subsidiary.
- Argued before the US Eighth Circuit and co-authored appellate briefing concerning a motion to dismiss in a securities class action.
- Defended a former CEO of a multi-state mental health care provider in civil qui tam False Claims Act litigation in the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Represented a global life sciences company in a licensing and collaboration dispute in an arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce, International Court of Arbitration.
- Arbitrated a complex partnership dispute and partnership separation, obtaining highly favorable separation terms for client, in which Mr. DeVoe second-chaired the arbitration, examined witnesses, and drafted arbitration briefs and memoranda.
- Defended various public companies and their officers and directors in securities class actions, merger litigation and derivative suits across a range of jurisdictions, including drafting dispositive motions, arguing evidentiary disputes, and conducting and defending depositions.
- Provided advice to various public companies concerning filings with the Securities Exchange Commission and disclosures to public markets concerning company performance, ongoing litigation, and mergers and acquisition transactions.
- Represented a government agency in numerous complex commercial disputes, including successful litigation before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court concerning whether government agencies may terminate contracts “for convenience” to reduce costs.
In addition, in 2019, Mr. DeVoe gained significant trial experience during a six-month secondment with the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office, where he served as a Special Assistant District Attorney in the Lowell, Massachusetts District Court. In that capacity, he prosecuted hundreds of felony and misdemeanor crimes; independently conducted 8 jury and bench trials to final verdict; and argued dozens of dispositive and evidentiary motions.
Mr. DeVoe is a member of the Boston Bar Association.