Martin Carmichael is a retired partner in Goodwin’s Financial Industry practice and is also a member of several focus areas at the firm including Fintech and Higher Education. With more than 30 years’ experience practicing corporate and securities law, Mr. Carmichael’s practice includes representing: public and private companies on matters involving general corporate law, mergers, acquisitions and other complex transactions, and corporate governance; issuers, underwriters, placement agents and investors in public offerings and private placements of debt and equity securities; and private equity firms in fund formation and portfolio company investments.
Mr. Carmichael has extensive experience advising on transnational matters, including joint ventures between U.S. clients and foreign strategic partners, and representing U.S. companies on overseas acquisitions and divestitures. He counsels overseas clients on their transactions in the United States and in other international financing transactions, including offshore VC funds and in private placements in Europe and the Far East.
Mr. Carmichael’s recent experience includes representation of:
- A leading financial services firm in its acquisition of the provider of an interactive wealth management platform for advisors and their clients, and in the acquisition of the broker dealer clearing services business of another leading firm.
- Placemark Holdings, Inc., a firm that develops Unified Managed Account (UMA) programs and other portfolio management outsourcing solutions for banks, full-service broker-dealers and RIA firms, in its sale to Envestnet Inc., a leading provider of unified wealth management technology and services to investment advisors.
- APEN Ltd, a Swiss investment company, on the divestment of its ‘legacy portfolio’ of private equity funds and privately held operating companies to Strategic Partners Fund Solutions for $192 million.
- OANDA Corporation, a financial services provider of currency conversion, in connection with a $100 million issuance of common stock.
- Bank of Ireland in the sale of its comprehensive asset-based lending business to Wells Fargo Bank
Mr. Carmichael is listed in the 2003, 2004 and 2005 editions of The International Who’s Who of Private Funds Lawyers, published by Law Business Research.
Stanford Law School
- New York
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Carmichael has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Corporate Law 2022-2023.
Mr. Carmichael has been selected for inclusion in the U.S. News-Best Lawyers rankings for Corporate Law, and in The International Who's Who of Private Funds Lawyers, published by Law Business Research. While attending Stanford Law School, Mr. Carmichael served as Articles Editor of the Stanford Law Review.
While attending Stanford Law School, Mr. Carmichael served as Articles Editor of the Stanford Law Review.