Edwin Chan is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Equity group in Hong Kong. His practice focuses on representing private equity firms, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and other financial sponsors, corporations and institutional investors on cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions, public and private acquisitions and divestments, growth capital and pre-IPO investments, co-investments, convertible debt and structured investments, PIPE and other private equity transactions across Asia, with extensive experience advising clients through the life cycle of their investments, including investment restructuring and exits.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Chan was a counsel in the Hong Kong office of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP and previously practiced at Linklaters. Mr. Chan also spent six months on secondment to the Principal Investment Area of Goldman Sachs, Hong Kong.
Mr. Chan’s experience includes representation of:
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its investment in Ver Se Innovation, India’s biggest local language technology platform and parent firm of news aggregator ‘Dailyhunt’ and short video platform ‘Josh’.
- The management of ELEVATE in the sale of ELEVATE, an industry leader in ESG and supply chain services globally, by the Elevate management team and EQT to LRQA.
- GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, alongside several Asia-based investors led by Yunfeng Financial Group, in the approximately US$1.768 billion cash and stock acquisition of MassMutual Asia Ltd from MassMutual International LLC, a Massachusetts-based mutual life insurance company.*
- GIC as the lead investor in the US$220 million Series C preferred share financing of Linklogis, a leading Chinese supply chain finance provider.*
- GIC as the lead investor in the US$200 million Series D preferred share financing of Weimob, a China-based CRM solution provider.*
- GIC as the lead investor in the US$260 million Series B preferred share financing of CStone Pharmaceuticals, a Chinese biopharmaceuticals company.*
- GIC alongside NavInfo and Tencent, in its proposed equity investment in HERE, a Netherlands-based Open Location Platform company, from BMW, Daimler and AUDI.*
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, Canada’s largest single-profession pension plan, in its investment alongside FountainVest Partners, a Hong Kong-based private equity firm, in The Pure Group, a fitness and yoga center operator and wellness brand.*
- KKR and Tencent on their US$175 million equity investment in Voyager Innovations, the financial technology arm of PLDT Inc, a Philippines-based telecommunications and digital services provider.*
- KKR on as the lead investor in the US$128 million Series E financing round in Spark Education, a Chinese online education platform.*
- A sovereign wealth fund in its US$300 million acquisition of a 21.7% stake in LF Logistics Holdings, the logistics arm of Li & Fung Limited.*
- An international private equity investor as the lead investor for the US$300m convertible note financing of 21Vianet Group, Inc. a NASDAQ-listed PRC internet data centers business.*
- An international private equity investor on their sale for RMB1.5 billion of a portfolio of real estate assets located across four cities in China to a global real estate private equity fund.*
- An international private equity investor as the lead investor in the US$300 million convertible preferred share financing of Lenovo Enterprise Technology Company Limited, the PRC internet data centers business of Lenovo Group, and the related restructuring and spinoff.*
- An international private equity investor as lead investor in the US$300 million preferred share financing of Suning Sport, the sports arm of Suning Holdings, and related spin-off restructuring and contracts.*
- AmTrust Financial Services in the sale to Pacific Century Group of AmTrust Mobile Solutions Pte Ltd (now Bolttech), an international insurtech company operating in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam.*
- Noble Group on its sale of 49% of Noble Agri Limited to COFCO Corporation for US$750 million and deferred consideration.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
LL.B. and P.C.LL.2007
University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong
- New York