David Evans is Chair of Goodwin’s European offices and a partner in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry group. He is a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee. David's practice focuses on all aspects of real estate fund structuring and formation, as well as joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions in the real estate arena. David has considerable experience dealing with complex tax and real estate issues applicable to fund structuring, for both UK and pan-European funds, with particular expertise in Luxembourg structures. His clients include Greenoak, Henderson Park, M7 and Kennedy Wilson. According to Chambers UK, David is highly regarded for his expertise in forming Europe-focused real estate funds. Sources highlight that he is a “well respected” and “leading practitioner.”
Some recent transactions include:
- Advising Medical Properties Trust on an approximately $2 billion joint venture with Primonial Real Estate in relation to a significant portfolio of German acute care hospitals
- Advising M7 on a series of pan-European real estate funds, aggregating in excess of €1 billion
- Advising M7 on the formation (and seeding) of a €500 million open ended real estate fund
- Advising Kennedy Wilson on a significant Dublin PRS joint venture with AXA
- Advising Henderson Park in relation to a series of central London PRS joint ventures with Greystar
- Advising Greenoak on the establishment of various UK and pan-European real estate funds, both equity and debt
- Advising Greenoak in relation to two significant French real estate joint ventures
- Advising Greenoak in relation to multiple European real estate joint ventures
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2011, David was a partner at Ashurst LLP, where he served as head of its Investment Funds Group.
- Senior Courts of England and Wales
Recognition & Awards
David was recognized for excellence in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom.
David is regularly featured in Chambers & Partners and The Legal 500. The most recent edition of The Legal 500 UK (2023) named him as a ‘Leading Individual’ in two categories; Real Estate Funds and Commercial Property: Investment. Clients note: “He undoubtedly knows his subject matter and is proactive in seeing issues ahead of them becoming a problem.”