Institutional investors, owners and developers in real estate joint venture transactions face a raft of complex issues and market challenges as they invest across the United States and Europe. Clients count on Goodwin’s comprehensive understanding of the unique relationships and matters that arise during the lifecycle of real estate joint ventures, from formation concerns to exit rights. And as rapidly evolving technology disrupts industries around the world, we partner with our clients and embrace the promise and potential of innovation to make a lasting impact.
Full Suite of Services
As a global real estate joint venture law firm, Goodwin has successfully handled the entire spectrum of matters in this complex and shifting space. From single-asset developments to stabilized portfolios, clients leverage our multidisciplinary approach to joint venture transactions, integrating expertise from our tax, ERISA, corporate, securities, regulatory, construction and litigation teams.
Multidisciplinary Approach to Real Estate Joint Ventures
We regularly advise clients on real estate joint ventures that are REIT-compliant and/or UBTI sensitive (including “fractions rule”) compliance, as well as a variety of governance and economic structures, including complex promote waterfalls, clawbacks and multi-tiered transactions. Additionally, our growing European team is experienced in navigating the AIFMD and merger control considerations that can impact EU joint ventures.
Examples of Goodwin’s real estate joint venture activity include:
- Structuring, negotiating and governance of joint venture agreements
- Single-asset and large portfolio acquisitions and dispositions
- Entity-level investments, roll-ups and recapitalization of existing joint ventures
- Complex debt transactions
- Acquisition and construction financing
- Preferred equity ventures
- Workouts, restructurings and other distressed situations
- Forward-funding and sale and leaseback structures
- Sale and/or recycling of real estate assets (addressing the needs of both taxable and tax-exempt partners)
- Bankruptcy and securities issues
- Tax structuring
- ERISA and REIT compliance
International Joint Ventures
As our teams in Europe continue to grow and evolve, we are better positioned than ever to respond to our international real estate joint venture clients’ needs amid the ever-shifting nature of both property law and property markets. Goodwin lawyers are well versed in helping clients navigate the AIFMD and other merger control issues as well as helping parties become REIT-compliant.