Ed Hall is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Equity group. Mr. Hall’s practice focuses on the formation of private equity funds, with particular expertise in mid-market and large private equity funds, infrastructure funds and carried interest/co-investment arrangements. He also advises fund-of-funds and secondary funds on all aspects of their activities, including fundraising, separate managed account mandates, fund investment and secondary transactions. Mr. Hall has previously worked with private equity houses and other leading financial institutions including Macquarie, Phoenix Equity Partners, Palamon Capital Partners, Antin Infrastructure Partners, Bregal Investments, Triton Partners, Duke Street, Clessidra and Cubera.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2017, Mr. Hall was a partner at King & Wood Mallesons (formerly SJ Berwin).
Areas of Practice
BPP Law School
University of Cambridge
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
Recognition & Awards
- Recognized by whoswholegal.com in their 2022 Legal Marketplace Analysis for his “strong technical expertise,” which marks him as “one of the stand-out funds lawyers in the City.”
- Recognized by Chambers UK 2022 for his work in Investment Funds: Private Equity and Secondaries.
- Recognized by Chambers Europe 2021 for his work in Investment Funds: Private Equity.
- Recognized by Chambers 2021 UK for his work in Investment Funds: Private Equity and Investment Funds: Private Equity: Secondaries. Clients note “he is very solutions-focused and creative in his thought.” “He is always available, super bright and comes up with creative and pragmatic solutions.” “He is able to summarise and explain complex legal issues in layman's terms.”
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK for Private Investment Finds and Real Estate Funds, 2021
- UK Representative, Invest Europe Tax, Legal and Regulatory Committee, 2016
- Representative, British Venture Capital Association, Legal and Accounting Committee, 2016
- According to Chambers UK 2020, Mr. Hall is adept at private equity and infrastructure fund formation matters, and clients appreciate that he is “very thoughtful, always available and very efficient.”
- According to Chambers UK 2016, “He’s the perfect partner: he’s unflappable, determined, has an encyclopaedic memory and he maintains an even keel throughout.”
- Recognized by Financial News as one of their 40 Under 40 rising legal stars in 2016
- Included in The Lawyer Hot 100 2012: “Ed is an acclaimed private equity funds lawyer” who will play a “crucial” role in the continuing development of the funds team
- According to Legal 500 2012, he is “an exceptional and extremely bright lawyer.”
- Named “Most Promising Rising Star” at Private Equity News Awards for Excellence in Private Equity Advisory Services, 2011
- “Smooth Sailing,” Real Deals, November 26, 2020 (Quoted)
- “Added Complexity For PE Firms as UK Funds Fall Outside of EU Regulation,” S&P Global Market Intelligence, March 1, 2021 (Quoted).
- “Don’t Forget Brexit,” Private Equity International, December 3, 2020 (Quoted).
- “UK Clarifies Permitted Relationships Between LPs and GPs,” Unquote, May 2017 (Quoted).
- Panelist on “Annual Funds Sector Updates – Infrastructure,” Goodwin Webinar, June 2021.
- Panelist on “Planning the Future for UK Managers,” Goodwin Webinar, November 2020.
- Speaker at PEI Infrastructure Investor conference: “Why are developers creating different investment vehicles,” March 2012.