Kimberly Monty Holzel is a partner in Goodwin’s Financial Industry, Consumer Financial Services and Fintech practices. She advises banks and Fintech clients offering tech-enabled consumer financial services on compliance with consumer financial services laws. Ms. Holzel works with payment services, blockchain and virtual currency companies on FinCEN’s money service business (MSB) regulations and anti-money laundering requirements. She also prepares banks, lenders and Fintech companies for supervision by financial services regulators and represents them in connection with state and federal regulatory investigations, examinations, and inquiries.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Holzel worked for the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. During Ms. Holzel’s four years at the CFPB, she headed examination teams at large financial institutions, among other responsibilities. The CFPB teams she led examined for compliance with, among other things, mortgage originations and servicing, fair lending laws, and consumer loan and consumer banking matters.
- Advises banks, non-depository financial institutions, and Fintech clients on a variety of regulatory and compliance matters.
- Provides regulatory advice to bank and non-bank financial institutions regarding TILA, HMDA, ECOA, RESPA, FCRA, FDCPA, GLBA, TISA, EFTA and other federal and state consumer financial laws.
- Advises bank and non-bank consumer credit providers with respect to special purpose credit programs for prohibited basis groups, residential energy efficient construction financing, timeshares, and other special purpose consumer credit.
- Represents financial institutions in regulatory examinations and civil investigations by the CFPB and other federal and state regulatory bodies.
- Provides advice regarding state financial licensing obligations applicable to non-bank financial service providers, bank subsidiaries, bank partners, and mortgage loan originators.
- Assists Fintech companies and other financial service providers in designing novel financial products in accordance with applicable law.
- Advises virtual currency businesses on anti-money laundering compliance, and other FinCEN and state money services business regulations.
- Represents payments, lending, and virtual currency Fintech companies in establishing bank partnership arrangements for providing tech-enabled financial services.
- Advises hedge funds and private equity firms on regulatory issues in the acquisition of licensed financial service companies and loan portfolios.
Ms. Holzel is a member of the American Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association.
Following law school, Ms. Holzel was awarded a Presidential Management Fellowship at the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau where she worked as an Examiner in the Office of Supervision, Enforcement and Fair Lending, the Legal Division, and the Office of Research, Markets & Regulations. Ms. Holzel led and trained CFPB examination teams reviewing consumer financial services, such as mortgages, mortgage servicing, default servicing and foreclosure, credit cards and payment products, deposit accounts, and credit reporting, at large financial institutions for compliance with federal consumer financial laws. Ms. Holzel was responsible for overseeing the supervision of consumer deposit products, prepaid products, electronic fund transfers, and mortgage servicing at one of the nation’s largest financial institutions.
During law school, she worked for the Office of the Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, and participated in the Summer Honors Program at the Boston office of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Boston College Law School
Recognition & Awards
Ms. Holzel is a frequent speaker and author on consumer financial regulation and payments law topics. Her publications and speaking engagements include:
- Co-Speaker, "Growing Regulatory Focus on Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL)," December 07, 2021
- Author, "View From The Top: Trends and Predictions with Goodwin," December 02, 2021
- Co-Speaker, "Building a FinTech Fair Lending Program," May 13, 2021
- "De-Crypto Currency: Analyzing the Regulation of Cryptocurrency as Money Transmission and Consumer Financial Service," American Bar Association January 2019
- "Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) Webinar Series," Mortgage Bankers Association 2017-Present
- "Why Bank-Fintech Partnerships are Here to Stay," Bank Director August 18, 2017
- "Prepaid Card Rule: Maximizing Opportunities and Minimizing Risks," The Knowledge Group May 2017
- "CFPB v. Navient Corporation – A Look at UDAAP and Student Loan Servicing," American Bar Association, Business Law Section Spring Meeting April 2017
- "Payment Processors in the Crosshairs," American Bar Association, Business Law Section Spring Meeting April 2017
- "Compliance Potpourri," Western Massachusetts Compliance Association Quarterly Meeting April 2017
- "HMDA Resource Guide," Mortgage Bankers Association September 2016
- "The Bangladesh Bank Hack and Compliance Programs," E-Finance & Payments Law & Policy May 2016
- "CFPB Targets Online Payment Platform in First Enforcement Action on Cybersecurity," Payments Journal April 12, 2016
- "Third Party Regulatory & Compliance Risk," Emerging Payment Systems Conference, American Conference Institute September 18, 2015
- "Meet the Bank Regulators’ Lawyers," Boston Bar Association November 20, 2014
- "An Introduction to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau," Boston Bar Association May 2, 2014
In law school, Ms. Holzel was the Symposium Editor for the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review.