David Johanson is a partner in the firm’s Private Equity group. Mr. Johanson’s practice focuses on representing private equity sponsors, including buyout funds, growth equity funds, venture capital funds and hedge funds. He also represents public and private companies in complex business transactions (both domestic and cross-border), including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, equity and debt financings, recapitalizations and restructurings.
Recent Private Equity and Growth Capital representations include:
- Thoma Bravo in connection with investments in Pathwire, T2 Systems and UserZoom.
- Accel-KKR in connection with investments in Salsa Labs, PrismHR, Cendyn, PatientCo., Acumatica, TimeTarget and Vistex.
- Mainsail Partners in connection with investments in Field Service Holdings and Forensic Logic.
- HighBar Partners in connection with investments in Signpost, SilkRoad and PatientSafe.
- Marlin Equity Partners in connection with investments in Palladium Energy Group* and Verisae*.
- Francisco Partners in connection with investments Nextraq*, CoverMyMeds*, and eFront*.
- Silver Lake Sumeru in connection with its investment in Blackline Systems*.
- Adams Street Partners, Benchmark Capital, Eclipse Ventures, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Ribbit Capital, Silicon Valley Bank, and Unusual Ventures in connection with various investments and M&A transactions.
Recent Strategic representations include:
- Consortium of financial institutions, including Barclays, Credit Suisse's NEXT Investors, HSBC, J.P. Morgan, Prudential and Wells Fargo, in connection with their investment in SIMON Markets.
- Consortium of 35 financial institutions, including HSBC, ING, Natixis, Barclays, UBS and Wells Fargo, in connection with their investment in R3*
- Ribbit Capital in connection with the formation of its Hazel joint venture with Walmart.
- Goodleap, LLC in connection with equity financing rounds, totaling in excess of $1 billion.
- Hopin Ltd. in connection with multiple M&A transactions.
- Klarna Bank AB in connection with multiple M&A and investment transactions.
- Rocket Lab in its de-SPAC merger with Vector Acquisition Corp.
- ARYZTA AG in connection with multiple M&A transactions, including the sale of its North America business.
- Forge Global in connection with its acquisitions of Sharespost and IRA Services.
- Sensity Systems in connection with its sale to Verizon*.
- Finelite in connection with its sale to Legrand*.
- Keynetics in connection with the sale of its Kount business.
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Areas of Practice
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
(cum laude, Order of the Coif)