Eram Khan is a partner in Goodwin’s Antitrust and Competition practice, based in London. She has over a decade of experience working across the spectrum of competition law issues.
Eram advises clients across all sectors, with a particular focus on energy, mining, and commodities, financial services, and private equity. She has been a key adviser to major corporates, investment banks, institutional investors, and PE houses on their most challenging international transactions, with specific expertise in EU, UK and multi-jurisdictional merger control, foreign investment control, and behavioural antitrust issues.
Eram has extensive experience advising leniency applicants in EC cartel investigations, compliance work, and market studies carried out by competition and financial regulatory authorities in the EU and the UK.
She has previously worked in Brussels for a period of two years as well as in-house on a secondment with the Competition team of a leading retail bank in the UK.
Eram’s representative experience includes advising:
- SSE Thermal and Equinor on their acquisition of Triton Power Holdings Ltd from Energy Capital Partners*
- Glencore on the multi-jurisdictional merger control clearances for its acquisition of its remaining stake in the Cerrejón coal mine in Colombia from its joint venture partners, Anglo American and BHP*
- Alinda Capital Partners on the sale of its majority stake in Energy Assets Group, a UK-based metering and energy service business, to an international consortium buyer*
- Jingye Group, a Chinese steel company, on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of certain assets of British Steel*
- Advent International Corporation on the merger control clearances for its ₤1 billion recommended cash offer for Laird*
- Cerberus Capital Management on its acquisition of Worldwide Flight Services, one of the world’s leading providers of air cargo and ground handling services*
- Lloyds Banking Group on the acquisition of Tesco Bank’s prime ₤3.7 billion UK residential mortgage portfolio and the acquisition of Zurich’s UK workplace pensions and savings business*
- Deutsche Börse on the European Commission’s in-depth investigation into its proposed ₤21 billion merger with the London Stock Exchange Group*
- Novartis on the merger clearances for its transformational three-way asset swap with GSK, involving the acquisition by Novartis of GSK’s oncology business, the sale to GSK of Novartis’ vaccines business (excluding influenza vaccines) and the creation of a joint venture in consumer health products with GSK (GCR Matter of the Year and FT Innovative Lawyers Award)*
- Glencore on various merger control and competition law compliance matters, including its $70 billion acquisition of the remaining stake in Xstrata and on their $775.2 million sale of a 51% stake in its global oil storage business to HNA*
- An automotive parts company as the immunity applicant in the European Commission’s investigation concerning various automotive components, forming part of what has been described as the “largest cartel investigation in history”*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin
Eram is a member of The Competition Section, Law Society of England & Wales. She is also a member of the American Bar Association, Antitrust Section.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Eram was counsel at Linklaters LLP in London.
King’s College London
ILS Law College, India
- England & Wales
Recognition & Awards
Eram has been recognized as a ‘Future Leader’ by Who’s Who Legal Competition in the 2020, 2021, and 2022 guides.