Monica Kwok is an associate in Goodwin’s Private Equity group, and a member of the firm’s Search Funds and Food and Healthy Living practices.
Monica has a broad transactional and corporate counseling practice with a focus on the representation of private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies with respect to leveraged buyouts, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, and other corporate transactions.
Monica maintains a robust and active search fund practice, representing searchers and their portfolio companies in all phases of the search fund lifecycle, including fund formation, fundraising, acquisitions, ongoing operations, and beyond. She also represents entrepreneurs and startups in connection with early-stage formation and strategy, venture capital financings, commercial collaborations, executive compensation, employee benefits, and other employment arrangements.
Monica’s deal experience extends throughout a broad range of industries:*
- Gores Holdings IV, Inc., a SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of The Gores Group, in its $16.1 billion business combination with United Wholesale Mortgage, LLC (UWM)
- Consortium advisor to Brookfield Business Partners L.P., together with Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and other institutional partners, in the $13.2 billion acquisition of Johnson Controls’ Power Solutions
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of a 60% stake in Kantar Media
- Advent International in the $3 billion merger of its portfolio companies Clearent LLC and Transaction Services Group Limited to form Xplor Technologies; the acquisition by its affiliate AI Beauty Holdings of bareMinerals, BUXOM and Laura Mercier (collectively, n/k/a Orveon); its $350 million sale of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf; and Noosa Yoghurt, LLC in its merger with Sovos Brands
- GS Acquisition Holdings Corp II, a SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of Goldman Sachs, in its $2.6 billion business combination with Mirion Technologies, Inc. (at the time, a portfolio company of Charterhouse Capital Partners)
- HawkEye 360, Inc. in its investment round, led by Airbus and existing investors Razor’s Edge Ventures, Allied Minds and Shield Capital Partners
- PSG in its acquisitions of BoldLeads.com, Inc. and Propertybase GmbH; as lead investor in a minority investment in Impact Holdings, Inc.; and its significant investment in Boston Logic Technology Partners, Inc.
- Providence Equity Partners in its acquisition of TimeClock Plus
- TPG Growth, as lead investor, in a $300 million investment in MX Technologies, Inc.
- Charlesbank Capital Partners, together with Robert Long and Blair Ramey of Sanofi’s North American Consumer Healthcare division, in the formation of Bridges Consumer Healthcare LLC and in Bridges' acquisition of the North American rights to ThermaCare® HeatWraps
- Chevron USA Inc. in its joint venture with Mercuria Energy Trading Inc. to acquire and operate American Natural Gas LLC
*Denotes matters prior to joining Goodwin
Prior to joining Goodwin, Monica was an associate at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
While attending Harvard Law School, Monica interned at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement through the Student Honors Program and specialized in the application of blockchain technology in the legal sector as a student attorney at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society’s Cyberlaw Clinic. Monica also served on the Board of the Harvard Law School Student Government and as a Philanthropy Advisory Fellow for Harvard Effective Altruism.
Monica is an active member of the Harvard Alumni Association, the Penn Alumni Association and the Phillips Academy Andover community. Monica also served on the Investment Committee of Social Venture Partners. Monica holds a professional certificate in Art as an Alternative Investment from Sotheby’s Institute of Art.
Harvard Law School
University of Pennsylvania