Joel Lehrer, a partner in Goodwin's Technology Companies group and a member of its Fintech practice, specializes in intellectual property transactions and strategies for technology clients.
Mr. Lehrer's practice includes both the strategic development, management and protection of intellectual property portfolios, as well as technology and intellectual property transactions. Mr. Lehrer’s portfolio development practice focuses on domestic and international patents and trademarks and opinion work concerning clearance, patentability, infringement and validity. He has significant experience prosecuting patents on behalf of clients in the areas of computer software, computer hardware, data analytics, consumer electronics, business methods, financial systems and instruments, e-commerce, process control and simulation, and imaging.
Mr. Lehrer's transactional practice involves counseling clients with regard to intellectual property licensing, open source issues, and due diligence and other intellectual property issues in mergers, acquisitions, IPOs, and venture capital and private equity transactions. Mr. Lehrer is a regular contributor to Goodwin’s Founder's Workbench and frequently speaks to start-ups, industry groups, and early-stage companies about IP issues.
Recent representative clients and matters include:
- Agility Fuel Systems in its agreement to merge with Hexagon Composites’ CNG Automotive Products Division to form Agility Fuel Solutions.
- TA Associates, a private equity firm, in its $1.15 billion acquisition of the Russell Investments asset management businesses from the London Stock Exchange Group
- CDS Business Mapping, a provider of underwriting information to over 700 insurance carriers, agents and brokers nationwide, in its acquisition by CoreLogic
- Gibson Guitar in connection with a private placement of $225 million in aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes, the first capital markets offering for the iconic musical instrument company in its nearly 120-year history
- BroadHop, Inc., a provider of telecommunication network control systems, in its sale to Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Charlesbank Capital Partners, a private equity firm with over $3 billion in assets, in its sale of The Princeton Review to Tutor.com
- The Carlyle Group in its acquisition of Talent Partners, a talent payroll solutions provider for the advertising industry
- Capsule Technologie in its sale to Qualcomm Life, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM), a world leader in 3G, 4G and next-generation wireless technologies
- Drafting and securing patents for clients in the financial services, mobile advertising, application security and video surveillance fields
Areas of Practice
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Lehrer was an associate in the Patent and Intellectual Property Practice Group at Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault in Boston.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Lehrer spent 10 years working for technology companies focused on the design, development and deployment of large-scale software applications in the financial services, aerospace and defense, and business-to-consumer Internet industries. His areas of expertise include software development methodologies, process design and reengineering, manufacturing, operations management, Web-based technologies, and institutional and retail financial systems.
Suffolk University School of Law
(magna cum laude)
BSIndustrial Engineering and Operations Research1989
University of California, Berkeley
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Lehrer has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Patent Law 2022-2023 and Litigation - Intellectual Property 2023.
Mr. Lehrer was recognized for his work in MA – Prosecution / MA – Transactions in 2021 by The IAM Patent 1000.