Described by Legal 500 as “one of the best VC lawyers in the market”, Sophie McGrath is a partner in Goodwin’s Technology and Life Sciences groups. Sophie has over 20 years’ experience focusing on transactions in the life sciences and technology sectors, acting for companies at all stages of development, as well as investors and management teams. She advises on a wide range of corporate matters, including private and public financings, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and restructurings.
Sophie is a recommended lawyer for Chambers UK and Legal 500. She is described by Legal 500 as having “unbeatable knowledge and experience, especially in the life sciences and technology industries” and by Chambers as applying a “very commercial” approach to deals in the life sciences and technology sectors.
Sophie is passionate about promoting and supporting women in the Life Sciences and Technology sectors and is responsible for various initiatives and events at Goodwin including its annual Women in Life Sciences networking event. Sophie also acts for an impressive roster of women led companies such as Thymia, Micrographia and Jeito, the first women led life sciences focused venture capital fund.
Sophie also has a keen interest in the ESG & Impact sector, acting for both investors and companies that are targeting a “double bottom line,” either through environmental or social impact, and is a member of the British Venture Capital Association’s Impact Investment advisory group, which has a mandate to promote the development of the impact investment sector in the UK.
Sophie was shortlisted as Legal Advisor of the Year at the Women in Finance Awards 2021.
- Gide Healthcare, Kaiser Permanente Ventures and Morningside Ventures on their investment in Big Health as part of a $75 million Series C financing. Big Health are a digital healthcare provider focused on mental health
- Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund GmbH, Novo Holdings A/S and Evotec SE on co-leading the Series A investment in Centauri Therapeutics Limited, as part of a funding round which raised approximately £24 million. Centauri Therapeutics are an immunotherapy company focusing on antimicrobial resistance research and development
- Jeito Capital, on their co-led $156 million oversubscribed Series B financing round in Quell Therapeutics, the world leader in the development of engineered T-regulatory cell therapies for serious medical conditions driven by the immune system. Jeito co-led the financing with Ridgeback Capital Investments, SV Health Investors and Fidelity Management & Research Company, with participation from founding investor Syncona
- Morningside Ventures on its lead investment of a $50,000,000 Series B funding round into Ieso Digital Health Limited, who deliver high-quality, online cognitive behavioral therapy to NHS patients
- Advanced Medical Solutions Group plc, an AIM listed life sciences company, on its acquisition of Sealantis Limited, a developer of an alginate-based tissue adhesive technology platform
- Jefferies LLC on Silence Therapeutic’s (AIM:SLN and Nasdaq: SLN) at the market sales transaction for up to $100,000,000 American Depositary Shares. Silence Therapeutics is a biotech company developing gene therapeutic technology based on RNA interference
- Kinnevik on their Series C $100 million investment into Spring Health, the developer of a digital platform designed to provide personalized mental healthcare for employee wellbeing
- COMPASS Pathways plc on its completed upsized $146.6 million NASDAQ initial public offering and its public follow-on offering on NASDAQ of American Depositary Shares for gross proceeds of approximately $144 million. COMPASS is a mental health care company dedicated to accelerating patient access to evidence-based innovation in mental health
- Omega Funds on co-leading Artios Pharma Limited’s $153 million Series C financing. Artios Pharma is the developer of novel cancer treatments designed to target DNA Damage Response
- Achilles Therapeutics plc on its Initial Public Offering on NASDAQ with total proceeds of $175.5 million. Achilles is a biopharmaceutical company developing personalised cancer immunotherapies
- Kinnevik on their Series B $64 million funding round in Quit Genius, the world’s first digital clinic for treating nicotine, alcohol and opioid addictions
- Jeito Capital on leading an oversubscribed $92 million Series C financing round in Pulmocide, the developer of inhaled therapies designed for the treatment of acute and chronic respiratory diseases
- Quanta Dialysis Technologies on multiple private funding rounds including its most recent $245 million oversubscribed Series D funding round, the largest private funding round for a dialysis device company in history
- Lauxera Capital Partners on their investment in LUMICKS, a supplier of Dynamic Single-Molecule and Cell Avidity analysis instruments, as part of a $93 million Series D Financing
- Grasp on its seed financing round raising approximately $4 million
- Kinnevik on its participation in Mews Systems $185 million Series C financing round
- Novo Holdings on its lead investment into Roslin Tech, as part of a financing round of £11 million. Roslin Tech is an agriculture biotechnology company, which is developing and commercializing novel biotechnologies for alternative protein sectors and animal health
- Wintermute, a leading global crypto market maker, on their $20 million Series B funding round
- Kinnevik on their lead $100 million investment into Sure, Inc, the developer of a SaaS infrastructure and distribution platform intended for the world's most innovative insurance programs
- Sprout.ai Limited, an insurtech company providing AI to support claims and fraud teams, on its Series A funding round led by Octopus Ventures
- DST Global and General Catalyst on a $150 million Series C Financing of Zego, a London, UK-based motor insurtech company, giving it a $1.1 billion valuation and unicorn status
- Brytlyt Limited, a company that is developing and commercializing GPU-accelerated data processing technology, on its completion of a Series A funding round led by Amadeus V Technology Fund LP and Finch Capital Fund II Cooperatief U.A.
- Zetta Venture Partners on leading a series seed investment in Pimloc Limited, the developer of an AI software tool designed to find, retrieve and process images and video content in substantial collections
- Joanna Dai Limited, a luxury performance workwear brand specializing in sustainable, versatile and high-tech women’s workwear, on its seed funding round
- Cognitive Credit, a company developing an end-to-end analytics application that delivers cutting edge technology to institutional credit investors, on multiple private financing rounds including its series A funding round
- Beyond.Life Ltd, providing an online marketplace that connects funeral directors and at-need customers, on its Series A round
- Novastar Ventures Limited, an impact investment fund, on its Series A investment in The Sure Chill Company Limited, a company that develops a revolutionary platform cooling technology
Areas of Practice
Sophie is a member of the British Venture Capital Association.
Sophie is an Expert in Residence for Women of Wearables.
Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test2003
College of Law London
Graduate Diploma in Law1999
College of Law, Sydney
Bachelors in Commerce and Laws1998
University of Sydney
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- New South Wales, Australia
Recognition & Awards
- Sophie was recognised as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 UK 2023 and 2022 for Venture Capital, in which she is described as “one of the best VC lawyers in the market. She has unbeatable knowledge and experience, especially in the life sciences and technology industries.”
- Sophie was recognized by Chambers UK 2022 and 2023 for her work in Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment. Clients testimonials described her as a “fantastic partner to work with” and commended her for ability to “deliver focused expertise and driven advice.”
- Sophie has been shortlisted for Legal Adviser of the Year by the Women in Finance Summit & Awards Series 2021.
- Sophie was recognized by Chambers 2021 UK for her work in Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment.
- Sophie has extensive experience in private investment work, acting for companies at all stages of development, as well as investors and management teams. She is a recommended lawyer in Chambers UK 2020 in the field ‘Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment.’
Sophie’s recent speaking engagements include:
- Author, “FemTech – A market on the rise”, Maddyness 17 May 2022
- Author, “How is new innovation giving a much-needed boost to women’s health and wellness?”, Maddyness 6 April 2022
- Quoted, “Investors' Diversity Quest May Push Women's Health Out of the Doldrums,” S&P Global Market Intelligence, 29 March 2022
- Speaker, “Legal Funding 101: Garnering Support for Women's Health,” Women of Wearables Knowledge Hub, 7 July 2021