Matthew Reardon is a partner in the firm’s Business Law department and a member of the Technology M&A practice. Matt represents the companies, firms, and institutions that power innovation in the technology and life sciences industries, including entrepreneurs, venture capital and private equity investors, innovative companies at all stages of growth, and higher education institutions. Matt has extensive experience in early and late stage venture financings, growth equity and leveraged recapitalizations, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships, securities laws, and general representation of innovative companies. Matt partners with clients as a practical legal and business advisor to support their strategic goals.
Matt advises the management and boards of directors of a range of innovative companies in the technology and life sciences industries in general business and corporate matters, including Algorand, HYCU, Invicti Security, Landmark Bio, Mercy Bioanalytics, Axim Collaborative (a nonprofit focused on education led by Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology), THINKMD, and Weaviate.
- edX Inc. in its strategic transaction with 2U, Inc.
- Fleetmatics Group PLC in its $2.4 billion sale to Verizon
- AppNexus in its sale to AT&T
- 6 River Systems, Inc. in its $450 million sale to Shopify Inc.
- Boston Dynamics in its acquisition by Google, Inc.
- Landmark Bio, PBLLC in a public benefit joint venture formation between Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies, Cytiva, and Alexandria Real Estate Equities
- New Euro-Pro Holdings LLC (d/b/a “SharkNinja”) in an investment by CDH Investments
- PTC Inc. in its acquisition of Enigma
- Continuum Managed Services in its sale to Thoma Bravo, and subsequent sale to ConnectWise, LLC.
- Continuum Managed Services in its acquisitions of BrightGauge Software Inc. and Carvir, LLC
- Steward Health Care Systems LLC in its acquisition of New England Sinai Hospital
- Evariant, Inc., in its sale to Healthgrades
- Hypnos Capital in its acquisition of Napster
- ANSYS, Inc. in its investment in 3DSIM, LLC
- Braemar Energy Ventures in its sale of a portfolio company
- BATON Financial Services in its sale to TreviPay
- Nova Ventures Group in its acquisitions of multiple portfolio companies in the sensors industry
- Alkermes plc. in its $50 million sale of a division to Recro Pharma, Inc.
- GnuBio Inc. in its sale to Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Viracor-IBT in its $255 million sale to Eurofins Scientific
- Essilor International in its acquisition of Costa Inc.
- Perfumania Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of Parlux Fragrances, Inc.
- Bessemer Venture Partners in investments in early-stage technology companies
- General Catalyst Partners in investments in entrepreneur-in-residence investment vehicles
- Matrix Partners in investments in early-stage technology companies
- Optum Venture Partners in investments in portfolio companies
- The investment funds of a large financial services firm in their investments in a wide range of fintech, disruptive sciences, and consumer goods portfolio companies
- Bison Ventures in investments in portfolio companies
- Will Ventures in investments in portfolio companies at the intersection of sports and technology
- BioInnovation Capital in investments in early-stage life sciences companies
- Romulus Capital in investments in Ceres Imaging, Cogito, Cohealo, Disruptor Beam, E la Carte, EquipmentShare.com, Humanyze, Petagene, Placester, and Vyome Biosciences
- Flare Capital Partners in its investment in Bright Health
- Ascension Ventures in its investments in Atigeo, Inc. and Syapse, Inc.
- Alkermes plc in its investment in ReSet Therapeutics, Inc.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation in its investment in Hydro-Photon, Inc.
- Mercy BioAnalytics, Inc. in its preferred equity financings
- Weaviate, Inc. in its preferred equity financings
- BATON Financial Services in its preferred equity financings
- Startup Institute in its Series B equity financing
- Open Door Trading LLC in its equity financings
- THINKMD, PBC in its equity financings
- Serenity Pharmaceuticals LLC in its Series C equity financing
- Viamet Pharmaceuticals in its Series C equity financing
Matt supports the broader innovation ecosystem by:
- Serving as a Lawyer-in-Residence at the Rock Center for Entrepreneurship at Harvard Business School
- Leading mock negotiation sessions for the MIT Sloan School of Management course "Early Stage Capital"
- Serving as a mentor and a judge in the MIT $100K Entrepreneur Competition
- Serving as a judge in the Harvard Innovation Lab’s President’s Innovation Challenge
- Co-teaching "Forming and Financing a Start-Up Business," a semester-long course in the Transactional Law Program at the Boston University School of Law
Matt is actively involved in pro bono matters. He serves as outside general counsel for THINKMD, PBC, a public benefit company that has deployed a free screening assessment and education tool to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic spread and response. Read more about their efforts here. Matt provides pro bono legal support to The Friends of the Rafael Hernández School, the nonprofit branch of the Rafael Hernández K-8 Dual Language School in the Egleston Square neighborhood of Boston.
University of Virginia School of Law
The Johns Hopkins University
Matt is a contributor to Goodwin’s Founders Workbench, an online resource for start-ups, emerging companies, and the entrepreneurial community.