Bastian M. Schmack is a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) since 2018 and an Associate in Goodwin's Real Estate Industry since 2021.
Bastian focuses his practice on domestic and cross-border transactions including acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, joint ventures, venture capital and private equity investments (specialized in real estate portfolio deals). In addition, he advises a broad range of clients on general corporate matters.
Before joining Goodwin, Bastian practiced for three years as an associate at another international law firm in Frankfurt for which he had earlier also clerked as a legal trainee in New York City.
His recent experience includes representing:
- Triton on the sale of dogado to Cinven and OTPP
- Real estate company Cofinimmo on its €39 million acquisition of three retirement and nursing homes
- Veganz Group AG on all corporate law issues related to the implementation and structuring of its IPO
- The management as co-investors of Garz & Fricke Holding GmbH, in the sale of their stake in Garz & Fricke to (and re-investment into) Italian listed company SECO S.p.A.
- The vegan food company Veganz Group AG on raising €11 million from Brandenburg Kapital in a second tranche of equity financing
- Capital Bay on the set-up of various real estate funds, on various joint ventures and on the acquisition and disposal of various real estate portfolios*
- Various investors in connection with their investments into companies rolling out optical fibre networks in Germany*
- PATRIZIA Alternative Investments on the set up of real estate funds and on the acquisition and disposal of various real estate portfolios with a total deal value of more than EUR 4 billion*
- Veganz Group AG on several equity financing rounds*
- German PE firm capiton on the acquisition of Hamm Reno Group and on its JV with CCC S.A.*
- International Campus Group, one of the leading providers of student accommodations in Germany, on the set up of various real estate funds and on various acquisitions and disposal in Germany and Europe*
- Investor on the sale of its shares in Premier League football club*
- German football club on equity financings*
- A global technology corporation on its global corporate restructuring*
- A US conglomerate manufacturer of industrial products on its acquisition of a German technology company*
- Gerry Weber AG on its restructuring during its insolvency proceedings*
- Multinational cinema group on the intended acquisition of the German group of a competitor*
- Deutsche Beteiligungs AG on its acquisition of a majority in Frimo Group GmbH, one of the world's leading suppliers of molds and equipment for the production of plastic components for various applications*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2021, Bastian practiced as an Associate at Allen & Overy LLP in Frankfurt for three years (2018 – 2021).
Before his admission as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) in 2018, Bastian worked as part of his legal clerkship at Allen & Overy LLP in Frankfurt and New York City. From 2010 until 2016 and parallel to his legal studies with specialization in business law, Bastian has also gained experience as an legal research assistant at other international law firms such as Linklaters LLP.
Second State Exam2018
Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt am Main
First State Exam2016
Goethe University Frankfurt