Steven Tjoe is a partner in the firm’s Technology and Life Sciences groups and a member of the firm’s Life Sciences Regulatory & Compliance practice. He focuses his practice on product development strategies and FDA regulatory counseling, in particular as related to medical devices, digital health products, in vitro diagnostics, laboratory developed tests, compounded drugs, cell and gene therapies, biosimilars, and other drugs and biologics. Steven advises clients in analyzing premarket pathways, product adverse event risk profiles, product communications and marketing, and GMP compliance. Steven also advises on exclusivity issues, is a contributor to Goodwin’s Guide to Biosimilars Litigation and Regulation in the U.S., and regularly conducts risk analyses for offerings and transactions involving FDA-regulated entities across the medical device, drug, and biologic industries.
Steven is a member of the Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI), and a former member of the FDLI Webinar Programs and FDLI New to Food and Drug Law Planning Committees.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Steven served as a regulatory counsel in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH). At FDA, Steven advised premarket review teams and senior management on regulatory issues arising from premarket review and classification, provided counsel and strategic advice on agency enforcement actions, and advised agency officials on issues related to the development and implementation of agency regulatory policies and regulations and the application of legislation impacting FDA regulation. He was responsible for providing counsel on a variety of regulatory matters across multiple sectors, particularly in the evolving fields of precision medicine and digital health. Steven was lead regulatory counsel for FDA’s Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health (now Office of Health Technology 7) on numerous issues pertaining to the regulation of genetic testing, companion diagnostics, and laboratory developed tests.
Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University
Case Western Reserve University
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Recognition & Awards
In 2023, Steven was named by the Legal 500 US as a Next Generation Partner for his work in Life Sciences. In 2022, Steven was named a 2022 D.C. Rising Star by the National Law Journal.
In 2021 and 2022, Steven was named a Rising Star in The Legal 500 United States Healthcare: Life Sciences for his work in FDA law. In 2021—2023, Steven was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch for his work in Administrative / Regulatory Law. Further, in 2021 and 2022, Steven was recognized by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Food & Drug Law.
During his time at FDA, Steven was consistently recognized for his public service. Steven received multiple FDA Commissioner’s Special Citations and CDRH Excellence Awards for his role in guidance, policy, and regulation development, legislation, and compliance and enforcement. Steven has also received multiple recognition awards for his role in the development of a policy framework for oversight of laboratory developed tests, was named the CDRH employee of the month in recognition for excellence in inventing and drafting a pathway to market for the first direct to consumer laboratory developed test, and received the CDRH Center Director’s Award of Excellence in recognition of the counsel he provided to the agency on novel regulatory issues.
- Speaker, “Key Regulatory Considerations for Oncology Companies in 2023,” MedInvest Oncology Conference, June 22, 2023
- Co-author, “Significant Digital Health and Cybersecurity Regulatory Developments, 2022,” FDLI Top Food and Drug Cases, 2022, & Cases to Watch, 2023, May 2023
- Speaker, “Overview of Medical Device Law and Regulation and Organizational Structures,” FDLI Introduction to Medical Device Law and Regulation Training Course, April 11, 2023
- Co-Author, “Top 5 Compliance Issues for Medtech Firms Transitioning To Data-Enabled Solutions,” MedCity News, January 27, 2023
- Co-Author, “Top 5 FDA Considerations for Medtech-Enabled Data Platforms,” MedCity News, January 24, 2023
- Co-Author, “Top 5 IP Considerations for Medtech Companies Transitioning To Data-enabled Product Solutions,” MedCity News, January 20, 2023
- Special Contributor, “Guide to Biosimilars Litigation and Regulation in the U.S., 2022-2023 ed.,” Thomson Reuters, 2022
- Moderator, “Getting Serious About Women’s Health in Medtech,” MedTech Conference, October 25, 2022
- Speaker, “Introduction to Biological Products, Including Vaccines, Biosimilars, Cell and Gene Therapies, and Other Advance Therapies,” FDLI Virtual Training Course, March 2022
- Speaker, “Dealing with Adverse Events and Other Post-Market Medical Device Problems,” FDLI/CDRH Training Course, March 2022
- Author, “3 Key Considerations for Promoting Transparency for AI/ML-Enabled Medical Devices,” PM360, December 2021
- Co-Author, “FDA’s Updated Enforcement Policy for COVID-19 Tests: Key Takeaways for Developers of COVID-19 Laboratory Developed Tests and Manufacturers of COVID-19 Test Kits,” Goodwin Insights, December 2021
- Special Contributor, Guide to Biosimilars Litigation and Regulation in the U.S., 2021-2022 ed., Thomson Reuters, October 2022
- Author, “Promotion of Devices Subject to the FDA’s COVID-19 Enforcement Policies,” PM360, June 2021
- Special Contributor, “Guide to Biosimilars Litigation and Regulation in the U.S., 2020-2021 ed.,”Thomson Reuters, January 2021
- Co-Author, “Public Health Crises and FDA Scrutiny,” PM360, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Developing Medical Products for Public Health Emergencies,”Goodwin Insights, February 2020
- Contributor, “Guide to Biosimilars Litigation and Regulation in the U.S., 2019-2020 ed.,” Thomson Reuters, November 2019
- Author, “The FDA, Marketing Claims, and Digital Health Products,” PM360, November 2019
- Author, “Marketing Laboratory Developed Tests,” PM360, July 2019