Olivia D. Uitto is a partner in Goodwin’s nationally recognized Life Sciences and Technology groups. Her practice focuses on developing and managing complex worldwide patent estates and market exclusivity strategies for life sciences companies. She works with public and private companies of all sizes and stages of development, including start-ups and entities that invest in pharmaceutical and life science companies and technologies. Her client projects are varied and include developing and managing worldwide patent estates on drug candidates, evaluating competitive landscapes to determine patentability and freedom to operate, developing IP strategies for early stage start-up companies, performing IP due diligence for investors, and advising on license agreements, collaborations and regulatory issues.
Dr. Uitto’s representative experience includes:
- Advising on early stage platform and discovery stage patent strategies for several pharmaceutical and biological therapeutic companies
- Leading IP due diligence for various pharmaceutical and life science companies in regards to licensing or acquiring programs and product candidates
- Representing underwriters during initial public offerings and follow-on offerings for AC Immune, Arvinas, Beigene, BeyondSpring Pharmaceuticals, Inc., InFlaRx, Orchard Therapeutics, and ArgenX
Before joining Goodwin, Dr. Uitto was General Counsel of Numira Biosciences.
University of Utah
Doctor of PhilosophyChemistry2003
University of Utah
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Co-Author, “The Purple Book and the Orange Book – When do patents expire and regulatory exclusives end for FDA approved products?,” Life Science Perspectives blog, September 2020
- Speaker, “Life Sciences Webinar: Recent On-Sale Bar Ruling Related to Outsourcing,” April 2020
- Co-Author, “Who’s Afraid of Biotech Institute LLC?,” August 2019
- Co-Author, “Emerging Patent issues in The Cannabis Industry,” Law360, February 2018