Katie Leah is an associate in Goodwin’s Tax Practice, focusing on the tax aspects of real estate and private equity transactions, based in the firm’s London office.
Ms. Leah advises on the tax aspects of all types of private equity work, including UK, multi-jurisdictional and pan-European M&A. She advises on UK corporation tax, VAT and stamp taxes as well as management packages and share incentive schemes. Ms. Leah advises on the tax aspects of real estate transactions, including investment, financing, development and leasing as well as on the tax aspects of real estate funds, much of which involves cross-border structuring.
- Graphite Capital on its sale of Standard Brands, manufacturers of branded and private label ignition products.
- Spice Private Equity (Bermuda) Ltd in the acquisition of a significant minority stake in Leon Restaurants, a naturally fast food chain.
- Bregal Sagemount, on its investment in Options Technology, a leading provider of cloud-enabled managed services to the global financial services sector.
- Amplify Snack Brands, Inc. on its £300 million acquisition of the Tyrell’s group of companies.
- ECI Partners LLC on the sale by Kelvin Hughes Group of ChartCo for £55 million.
- Mount Street LLP on its acquisition of Morgan Stanley Mortgage Servicing Limted, a vehicle responsible for the servicing and special servicing of £4.5 billion of CMBS/RMBS assets.
- Bain Capital in respect of $1.3 billion acquisition of Atento from Telefonica*.
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin
- Workspace Group PLC on numerous acquisitions and disposals, including the acquisition of the Jersey company which owns Salisbury House at 28-31 Finsbury Circus, London EC2, valuing the asset at c.£160 million.
- KWAP on its £270 million sale of the Guernsey unit trust which owns 88 Wood Street, London EC2, having previously acted on the acquisition and subsequent refinancing of the unit trust.
- Kennedy Wilson Europe on the £204 million acquisition of 111 Buckingham Palace Road by share purchase - the London headquarters of the Telegraph Media Group.
- HIG Capital on a €70 million joint venture to acquire seven Dutch office and retail premises.
- Credit Suisse Asset Management on the £142 million sale of Plantation Place South and the £90 million sale of The Corn Exchange, London.
- GreenOak Real Estate on its acquisition of Grafton Advisors from UK property developer Quintain Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Lone Star Real Estate Fund IV.
- Medical Properties Trust in relation to the €175 million acquisition and leaseback of 11 rehabilitation medical clinics in Germany and on the £29 million sale and leaseback of the Circle Bath Hospital.
- Ares Management in relation to Ares European Property Enhancement Partners II, with total commitments at final closing of €665 million.
- M7 Real Estate on the establishment of a series of European real estate funds.
- GreenOak Real Estate on the formation of GreenOak UK Secured Lending, a fund making loans secured against UK real estate assets.
- GreenOak Real Estate on the formation of GreenOak Spain, a €250 million value add real estate fund.
- A European asset manager on the establishment of an open-ended, multi-strategy real estate sector fund.