Mr. Mallin’s recent experience includes advising:
- CORESTATE Capital Group on the acquisition of Tempelhof Twins in Berlin, a first-class value-added office property with a total investment volume of around €86 million. The transaction will be structured as a joint venture between Metropolitan Real Estate, the global real estate multi-manager arm of the Carlyle Group, and a fund of the Bluerock Group (2019).
- Slate Asset Management L.P. on the acquisition and financing of two food retail portfolios in Germany (2019).
- Slate Asset Management on the acquisition and financing of three food retail portfolios in Germany by its affiliate. The portfolio comprises 19 properties in eight German federal states with a lettable area of approximately 27.600 square meters (2019).
- PGIM Real Estate on the acquisition of the Arrow portfolio from Patrizia Immobilien. PGIM acquired the portfolio as part of a share deal together with Signature Capital (2019).
- NATIXIS Pfandbriefbank AG on a contemplated green loan financing for 99 West Tower GmbH. The financing is to be used for the share acquisition by a club of family office investors lead by N A S Invest from BNP Paribas group and the related development of the future BNP Paribas headquarters in Frankfurt/Main, Germany (2019).
- Medical Properties Trust, Inc. (MPT) in its €1.6 billion joint venture agreement with Primonial Group pursuant to which a fund managed by Primonial Group acquired a 50% interest in a MPT portfolio of 71 post-acute hospitals throughout Germany (2018).
- GTT Communications on its acquisition of Interoute for approximately €1.9 billion including GTT's refinancing (2018).
- A debt fund under management of GreenOak Real Estate on a €100 million loan to finance a real estate portfolio (acquisition as well as capital expenditures) in Germany. The transaction is a first for GreenOak in Germany, marking its entry into the local market (2017).
- Gramercy Property Europe plc, a Europe-focused real estate investment fund sponsored by Gramercy Property Trust (Gramercy), on the sale of 100% of the Fund’s assets to a consortium of clients managed by AXA Investment Managers – Real Assets. The deal is worth approximately $1.1 billion (€1.0 billion) with an exit cap rate of approximately 6.2%. The transaction and a simultaneous disposition by Gramercy of its minority interest in eight Fund properties is expected to result in net distributions to Gramercy of approximately $96.6 million (€90.7 million) (2017).
- Hamburg Commercial Bank AG (formerly HSH Nordbank AG) in connection with its credit facilities agreement with EQT Real Estate to finance the acquisition and subsequent repositioning of two commercial properties known as “Atricom” and “LeByro” in Germany. The financing was tailored to the business plan of the sponsor and combines an acquisition financing and a CapEx loan for a financing with a total volume of €79 million for a term of up to five years (2017).
- Gramercy Property Europe (Gramercy Europe) on its acquisition of a 94.9 percent interest in the German / French Clydesdale portfolio, a logistics warehouse portfolio with assets in Germany and France from Goodman Europe Development Trust. Goodwin also advised in relation to the refinancing of the German portfolio. The loan, amounting to approximately €130 million was provided by DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale. The highly complex cross-border deal involved Luxembourg, German, and French law elements with parties from Australia, the U.S., the UK, Luxembourg, Germany, and France (2017).
- Castlelake on its acquisition and financing of the Treveria property portfolio, which consists of commercial retail and residential space, from Commerzbank. The acquisition was carried out by a trustee structure through a combined asset deal and share deal, as well as an external financing through a loan provided by SEB AG. The purpose of the loan is also to finance certain investment expenses (2017).
- Castlelake, L.P. on its acquisition and financing of the Gravity real estate portfolio from the financial investors Marcol and Marathon Asset Management. The transaction was structured as a combined share and loan acquisition and has been completed recently. Marathon had acquired the loans relating to the Gravity Portfolio from Lloyds Banking Group as part of the Chamonix transaction in 2013. The Gravity transaction occurs in the frame of a sale of Marcol‘s German assets with a total value of more than €300 million.
- NATIXIS Pfandbriefbank AG and NATIXIS S.A. on the financing of the acquisition of additional residential properties to an existing portfolio located mainly in Berlin, Germany by investment companies from Luxembourg. NATIXIS Pfandbriefbank AG granted a loan to support a capex program of individual properties (2017).
- Deutsche Pfandbriefbank AG as facility agent and security agent leading a consortium of lenders, including Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen, in connection with a €432million term loan to partially refinance the debt of OFFICEFIRST Immobilien AG & Co. KG (OFFICEFIRST), a subsidiary of IVG Immobilien AG. The term loan is a key element of the whole refinancing of OFFICEFIRST and a vital part supporting IVG’s disposal of OFFICEFIRST(2016).
- Cerberus in connection with a refinancing of the Blue portfolio by senior and mezzanine loans arranged by Citi-Bank.
- A leading German insurer in connection with its acquisition of a portion of a EUR 1.4 bn facility agreement.
- Société Générale in connection with a refinancing of a residential and nursing homes located across Germany (vol. approx. EUR 545).
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2016, Mr. Mallin was an originator with a bank and a senior associate in the Frankfurt office of Ashurst.
Herr Mallin ist seit 2016 bei Goodwin. Zuvor war er als Originator in einer Bank und als Senior Associate im Frankfurter Büro von Ashurst.