Mr. Sheldon’s representations include:
- Part of the Goodwin team that represented Quicken Loans, Inc. before the U.S. Supreme Court, in Freeman v. Quicken Loans, Inc. The case involved an important consumer credit question under RESPA, which the Court decided unanimously in Quicken’s favor.
- Multiple mortgage lenders in putative class actions alleging mortgage insurance captive reinsurance arrangements violated RESPA; secured summary judgment on plaintiffs’ claims on statute of limitations grounds.
- A mortgage lender in investigation by CFPB of mortgage brokerage relationship; proceeding was dropped without charges or action.
- Mortgage lenders in numerous putative class actions challenging loan origination, servicing, modification, and/or foreclosure practices; dismissal secured and/or class certification denied in multiple actions.
- Mortgage lenders in multiple Fair Housing Act lawsuits filed by municipalities alleging discriminatory lending practices.
- Advisory counsel for Mortgage Bankers Association on regulatory comment and amicus issues.
- The Joyful Heart Foundation in its nationwide “End the Backlog” project seeking to eliminate the accumulation of untested rape kits throughout the country.
- Representative clients include Quicken Loans, Flagstar Bank, First Horizon National Corporation, PHH Mortgage Corporation, Mortgage Bankers Association and IQor Holdings, Inc.
Mr. Sheldon is a member of the Virginia State Bar and the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mr. Sheldon was an attorney with the law firm Williams Mullen, P.C.