Staying current in the blockchain and digital currency revolution can be as complicated as it is competitive. In the past year alone, investment in these companies, estimated to be billions of dollars, has increased more than 340%.
Formally established in 2015, Goodwin’s Digital Currency + Blockchain Technology Practice has remained at the forefront of this wave of innovation, helping companies capitalize on this pivotal merger of technology and finance. Goodwin’s Digital Currency + Blockchain Perspectives, launched in March 2015 (when Bitcoin was going for less than the price of a four-star dinner), was one of the first legal blogs to focus on the digital currency movement.
Goodwin’s global, cross-disciplinary team of 25+ lawyers advises companies in all facets of the blockchain and cryptocurrency ecosystem. From company formation and financing (including token-related fundraising transactions), to intellectual property, fund formation matters, state and federal regulatory advice and counselling, and M+A; Goodwin covers the full spectrum of issues that may arise.
We advise clients across the globe, including those in Switzerland, Bermuda, The U.K. Israel, and Hong Kong. Representative clients include venture capital firms, hedge funds, cryptocurrency exchanges, wallets, mining companies, transactions + payment services companies, blockchain tech development companies, and token consultants.
Our experience in the digital currency industry includes:
- Represented digital currency exchange, Coinbase, Inc., in an IRS action seeking customer information for hundreds of thousands of users
- Represented a digital currency company in the first-ever FinCEN settlement with a virtual currency exchange, and in related DOJ settlement
- Represented digital currency company Circle, in $17M Series B and $50M Series C financings
- Representing domestic & international companies and executives in response to SEC and state securities division investigations related to initial coin offerings
- Represented Ripple Labs, creator and developer of the Ripple payment protocol and exchange network, in obtaining the first civil order in which a Federal court custodied a digital currency
- Represented Digital Currency Group in its 2016 acquisition of CoinDesk
- Represented the founders of Sand Hill Exchange in settlement of SEC enforcement matter related to derivatives and digital currency
- Represented a VC firm as a lead investor in a series A financing of a provider of anti-money laundering software for Bitcoin
- Represented bitcoin wallet, Xapo, in $20M series A-1 financing