Real estate development requires technical expertise and dedication. Building a successful project starts with good working partnerships and Goodwin is committed to guiding our clients from concept to completion of every project. We counsel developers, investors, corporate owners and managers, nonprofit institutions and investors in large-scale projects of all kinds.
Our experienced team of lawyers advises clients in managing the conflicting needs of developers, lenders, tenants, public authorities, and other stakeholders to find common ground and appropriate, cost-effective solutions. From site evaluation, due diligence and acquisition, to zoning and permitting, Goodwin takes a proactive and comprehensive approach to addressing issues before they become problems. Our team maintains close relationships with the planning and building departments of Boston and several other key cities in the metro-west area in order to make the permitting process as seamless as possible. Goodwin’s development attorneys literally wrote the book on zoning and permitting in Massachusetts as lead authors of the MCLE’s Zoning Manual.
Clients rely on the team for advice with addressing the complexities and transactional demands of the real estate development process. Our services cover:
- Strategic planning for integrated project permitting
- Site acquisition and permitting due diligence
- Local zoning relief and permitting
- State and federal permitting
- Subdivision control
- Environmental permitting and review
- Wetlands permitting and compliance
- Historic permitting and compliance
- Hazardous materials remediation, cost recovery and liability management
- Conservation restriction compliance and creation
- Condominium creation
- Complex site related issues, including declarations, covenants, conditions, restrictions and easements
- Specialized tax treatment