Many of the world’s leading investors turn to Goodwin’s global team of lawyers to serve as transactional counsel on all aspects of U.S. and European commercial real estate investment. Our real estate lawyers structure complex direct and indirect purchases and sales of interests in real estate. On these transactions, Goodwin’s team works alongside investment managers and advisors, fund sponsors and real estate operating companies, as well as a wide range of cross-border investors, including open-ended funds, sovereign wealth funds, national pension funds, banks and ultra-high net worth managers on investment and development opportunities around the world, who are looking to acquire or sell assets or interests in real estate. Our experience encompasses transactions involving a diverse range of property types, including retail properties, offices, medical office and hospital facilities, hotel and leisure properties, industrial properties, and mixed-use assets.
The breadth of our industry-focused practice allows us to address efficiently a wide range of issues in complex transactions, including complex tax structuring, multi-layered ownership structures and portfolio transactions of all sorts. We understand and address the unique tax, ERISA, REIT compliance, securities creditors’ rights issues that real estate investors face. Samples of our expertise include:
- Single-property and large portfolio acquisitions and dispositions
- Acquisition and disposal of special purpose vehicles and REIT shares
- Roll-up and recapitalization of existing joint ventures
- Complex debt assumption transactions
- Acquisition financings
- Enforcement related acquisitions and sales
- Forward-funding and sale and leaseback structures
- Sale and/or recycling of real estate assets (addressing the needs of both taxable and tax-exempt partners)
- Tenant-in-common structures and 1031 deferred exchanges
- Tax structuring
Working with clients from around the world has given the team a deep understanding of and ability to anticipate the commercial concerns from a broad spectrum of U.S. and international investors. Clients come to Goodwin for global market knowledge, reliable insights and sophisticated real estate counsel.