Ed Amer, a partner in Goodwin's Private Equity group, represents private equity and venture capital firms, operating companies and investors in a broad range of transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, carve-outs, strategic collaborations, growth equity transactions, equity financings and general corporate representation, with a particular focus on the life science and healthcare industries. Prior to pursuing a career in law, Mr. Amer worked as a lighting technician in the motion picture industry.
Mr. Amer’s recent representations include:
- Ampersand Capital Partners in its investments in Alliance Pharma, a CRO specializing in advanced bioanalytical research services for both small and large molecule drugs, and Sterling Medical Devices, a leading provider of design, development and regulatory services to the medical device industry.
- InterWell Health, a physician-centric organization focused on supporting the renal patient population across the full continuum of care, in its initial formation, equity financings, and subsequent merger with Fresenius Health Partners and Cricket Health.
- Symeres, a Netherlands headquartered CRO/CDMO and Keensight Capital portfolio company, in its acquisition of Organix, a US based specialized organic chemistry services provider.
- Arranta Bio, a CDMO focused on providing development and commercialization services for therapeutic companies targeting the human microbiome, in its initial financing, strategic partnership with Thermo Fisher Scientific, and acquisition of Captozyme.
- Shields Health Solutions, a specialty pharmacy integrator and care provider for hospitals, in connection with equity investments by Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe and Walgreens, and a subsequent majority recapitalization by Walgreens.
- Cerevel Therapeutics, a life science company focused on neuroscience disease, in a royalty monetization transaction with NovaQuest and Bain Capital.
- ModeX Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on immune therapies for cancer and infectious diseases, in its acquisition by OPKO Health.
- Repligen Corporation, a life sciences company that develops and commercializes bioprocessing technologies and systems, in its acquisition of Avitide, a market leader in affinity ligand discovery and development.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals in the sale of its Plan B One Stop product and related assets to Foundation Consumer Healthcare.
- Ultragenyx, a biopharmaceutical company focused on rare diseases, in its acquisition of an exclusive option to acquire GeneTx, a start-up biotechnology company focused on Angelman syndrome, and the subsequent exercise of such option.
- Abide Therapeutics, a drug development company focused on CNS indications, in its acquisition by Lundbeck.
- Avista Pharma Solutions, a contract provider of drug substance, drug product and analytical services, in its sale to Cambrex Corporation.
- ZOLL Medical, in its acquisitions of Payor Logic, a provider of RCM software solutions for the healthcare industry, and Golden Hour Data Systems, a provider of patient charting and RCM services in the EMS market.
- Confluent Medical in its acquisitions of Interface Catheter Solutions, a contract manufacturer of balloon catheter systems, and Corpus Medical, a contract developer and manufacturer of interventional medical devices.
- MPI research, an early stage drug development CRO, in its sale to Avista Capital Partners.
- Florida Biologix in its merger with Brammer Biopharmaceuticals, forming Brammer Bio, a cell and gene therapy biologics CDMO, and Brammer Bio in its acquisition of a biologics manufacturing facility from Biogen.
- Ampersand Capital Partners and 1315 Capital in their acquisition of Genoptix, an oncology diagnostics company, from Novartis, and in the subsequent sale of Genoptix to NeoGenomics Laboratories.
- Mission BioCapital, an early-stage life science investment fund, in a number of investment and multi-asset company formation projects.
- Haven Healthcare, the health care delivery start-up founded by Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and J.P. Morgan and led by Atul Gawande, in general corporate matters.
Mr. Amer previously served as Co-Chair of the M&A Committee of the Business Transaction Section of the Boston Bar Association.
Boston College Law School
(magna cum laude)
Recognition & Awards
In law school, Mr. Amer served on the Boston College Law Review and was a member of the Order of the Coif.