Oreste Cipolla is a partner in Goodwin’s Private Equity group and a member of the firm’s Impact and Responsible Investing practice and Food and Healthy Living Practice. Mr. Cipolla is also a co-leader of Goodwin’s Secondaries Practice, a practice bringing together an international team of lawyers with extensive experience in domestic and global cross-border secondaries transactions. Mr. Cipolla represents private equity sponsors, venture capital funds, hedge funds and multinational companies, in a wide range of U.S. and cross-border transactions, including domestic and international regulatory compliance issues. His practice focuses on leveraged buyouts, dispositions, joint ventures, growth equity investments and other equity and debt financings. As a lead lawyer on both the buy and sell sides, Mr. Cipolla advises clients in various industries, including food and beverage businesses (with a particular focus on the healthy living section of the industry), technology, consumer products, health care, education and impact investing.
Mr. Cipolla’s recent work includes representing:
- Danone Manifesto Ventures, the venture capital arm of Danone, a leading global food and beverage company, in a number of equity and debt investments in health and sustainability focused food and food-tech companies.
- Private equity firm in its investment in Uber Technologies.
- Level Equity in its preferred equity investment in Fusion Risk Management, Inc., a leading provider of cloud-based continuity risk management software, contingency planning solutions and consulting services, and the subsequent sale of Fusion Risk Management in a leveraged buyout by another private equity firm.
- Level Equity in its leveraged buyout of Ensenta Corporation, a leading provider of cloud-based enterprise deposits, payments and risk mitigation technology and services.
- Level Equity in its preferred equity investment in Vacasa, LLC, a tech-enabled vacation rental property management company.
- Macquarie Capital (USA) Inc., the corporate advisory, capital markets and principal investing arm of Macquarie Group, in its preferred equity investment in Vision Group Holdings, which oversees and manages two of the leading LASIK surgery providers in the world.
- Macquarie Capital in the structuring of and investment in the pre-IPO convertible preferred equity financing of Laureate Education, the world’s largest network of higher-education degree-granting institutions.
- Primus Capital in its sale of AOD Software, a provider of software solutions to continuing care retirement communities and other long-term care facilities.
- Primus Capital in its sale of Vendormate, Inc., a provider of vendor relationship management solutions for healthcare providers.
- SmartStream Technologies, a portfolio company of the Investment Corporation of Dubai, in the formation of a reference data utility joint venture with Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Morgan Stanley.
- SmartStream Technologies in its acquisition of algorithmics collateral assets from IBM.
- Stone Canyon Industries in its leveraged buyout, and subsequent sale of, Fleishman’s Vinegar Company, the world's largest manufacturer and marketer of food-grade industrial vinegar.
- York Capital Management in its leveraged buyout of Houlihan’s Restaurants, a Kansas-based restaurant company focused on polished casual dining and fine dining.
Masters of Business Admin2013
INSEAD Institut Européen d'Administration des Affaires
Master of Laws2006
Columbia Law School
Bachelor of Laws1999
Universita’ Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
summa cum laude
- New York