Erin Claywell is a partner in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry group and a member of its Real Estate Joint Ventures and Hospitality & Leisure practices. Erin represents real estate owners, operators, and investors, including REITs, private and public institutional investors, investment managers, pension funds, and other tax-exempt investors, in a variety of complex commercial real estate matters with a particular focus on joint ventures, debt financings, acquisitions, and dispositions (including sale leasebacks) as well as development and leasing.
Erin is also active in Goodwin’s PropTech initiative, which is focused on supporting the intersection of real estate and technology through thoughtful collaboration across the two practice areas. As a participant, Erin stays up to date on relevant market trends impacting the PropTech sector to effectively support clients involved in this space.
- Advised RPT Realty on the formation of a new joint venture with Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, with RPT contributing five properties valued at $244 million and an aggregate commitment by the parties to contribute an additional $412 million towards future acquisitions
- Represented EPR Properties in connection with:
- its $830 million acquisition of CNL Lifestyle Properties, an owner of water parks, family entertainment centers and ski resorts
- providing financing to a U.S. private equity fund in connection with its acquisition of a portfolio of 14 ski resorts
- Represented a recognized real estate investor and developer in the headline sale of a highly sought after ski operation and facility
- Represented an insurance company in a programmatic joint venture with $200 million of capital commitments for the acquisition and redevelopment of existing shopping centers and development of new centers in the southeastern United States
- Advised a global real estate investment manager in the negotiation of three separate programmatic joint ventures (with an aggregate capital commitment of $200 million) with Legacy Communities, LLC for the acquisition of manufactured housing communities across the country
- Represented Gaming & Leisure Properties Inc. in its:
- $1.65 billion acquisition of Tropicana Entertainment from Icahn Enterprises and simultaneous lease of gaming facilities to Eldorado Resorts, Inc.
- Acquisition of Plainridge Park Casino and Belterra Park Gaming & Entertainment for an aggregate purchase price of $315.2 million and its master lease of such assets to Boyd Gaming Corporation
- $465 million acquisition of The Meadows Racetrack and Casino in Washington, PA
- Represented Boyne Resorts on the completion of its acquisition of six mountain resorts and a scenic chairlift attraction from an affiliate of a global asset management firm
- Represented a Boston-based real estate investment firm in connection with:
- the recapitalization of Terrell Place, an 11 story, 450,000 sq. ft. office building in Washington, DC
- two programmatic joint ventures with Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund with aggregate capital commitments of $400 million and $748 million
- Represented BentallGreenOak (f/k/a Bentall Kennedy) and MEPT Edgemoor REIT in connection with three separate transactions involving the acquisition of 9 properties in the Fort Point Channel area of Boston, for an aggregate purchase price exceeding $500 million
- Represented Citizens Financial Group in the sale of its entire Illinois retail and select middle market banking franchise to US Bancorp
Erin is a member of the Boston Bar Association.
Boston University School of Law
The George Washington University
- District of Columbia
Recognition & Awards
Erin has been recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers 2018-2019. While attending law school, Erin was an articles editor for the Journal of Science and Technology Law.