Robert Crawford is a partner in the firm’s Technology Companies & Life Sciences group and is a leader in the firm’s generic pharmaceutical transactions practice. Robert represents technology, pharmaceutical and other life science companies in connection with their commercial, M&A, royalty monetization, acquisitions and financings, and intellectual property transactions, including complex strategic collaboration, co-development, licensing and partnering transactions. He also has extensive experience structuring and negotiating brand, generic and biosimilar settlement and license agreements related to Hatch-Waxman and BPCIA patent disputes.
Robert’s representative transactions include:
- Dr. Reddy’s in its acquisition of Mayne Pharma’s US generic pharmaceuticals business
- Biocon Biologics Ltd. in its $3.33 billion (cash up to $2.33 billion plus stock in BBL valued at $1 billion) agreement to acquire Viatris Inc.’s (NASDAQ: VTRS) global biosimilars business
- Royalty Pharma’s acquisition of a royalty interest in TRELEGY ELLIPTA from Theravance Biopharma, Inc. (Nasdaq: TBPH) and Innoviva, Inc. (Nasdaq: INVA) for $1.31 billion in cash up front and up to $300 million in additional contingent payments
- Hansa Biopharma in its $70 million financing with NovaQuest to support the development and commercialization of imlifidase
- Royalty Pharma’s development funding and synthetic royalty agreement with ApiJect Holdings
- Royalty Pharma’s purchase of MorphoSys’ rights to receive future royalties on Janssen’s Tremfya in connection with a $2 billion strategic funding partnership as part of MorphoSys’ acquisition of Constellation Pharmaceuticals
- Royalty Pharma’s purchase of certain royalty interests from GlaxoSmithKline
- BioDelivery Sciences International’s purchase of U.S. and Canada rights to ELYXYB® from Dr. Reddy’s
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of NantKwest in connection with NantKwest’s merger with Immunitybio
- Royalty Pharma’s purchase of certain royalty streams from BioHaven Pharmaceuticals
- Royalty Pharma in its purchase of royalties from Minerva Neurosciences for up to $95 million
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in its collaboration with Alvotech for exclusive commercialization rights to five biosimilars in the U.S.
- MyoKardia in its $13.1 billion acquisition by Bristol Myers Squibb
- Royalty Pharma’s purchase of certain royalty rights from PTC Therapeutics
- Royalty Pharma’s purchase of certain royalty rights from Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical
- AMAG Pharmaceuticals on the divestment of its women’s health assets
- AMAG Pharmaceuticals in the sale of its rights to Intrarosa® to Millicent Pharma for up to $125 million
- Chiasma, Inc. in its synthetic royalty financing transaction with HealthCare Royalty Partners
- Royalty Pharma, in its purchase of royalties from a global anti-infectives company
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, in its collaboration with Apple, to launch the Heartline™ Study
- Johnson & Johnson in the sale of its BabyCenter business to Everyday Health Group
- Spark Therapeutics, in its $4.8 billion sale to Roche
- Johnson & Johnson in the transfer of collaboration rights and assets to Pharma Mar
- Ipsen, in its $1.31 billion acquisition of Clementia Pharmaceuticals
- Johnson & Johnson, in its strategic healthcare collaboration with Apple to deploy the Apple Watch to detect AFib
- Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, in its exclusive license agreement with Recordati Rare Diseases for the commercialization of Juxtapid® in Japan, with a total deal value of $110 million plus royalties
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in the dissolution of its global OTC joint venture with Procter & Gamble Co.
- Keryx in its merger of equals transaction with Akebia valued at $1 billion
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in its sale of its specialty global women’s health business for a combined value of $2.5 billion, including sale of Paragard® business to CooperSurgical for $1.1 billion, ex-U.S. women’s health business to CVC Capital Partners for $703 million, and Plan B One-Step® franchise to Foundation Consumer Healthcare for $675 million
- Parexel, in its $5 billion sale to Pamplona
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in its $40.5 billion acquisition of Allergan’s (fka Actavis/Watson) Global Generic Pharmaceuticals Business
- Royalty Pharma in its $115 million sale of certain IP and assets to a global pharmaceutical company
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in its $410 million exclusive collaboration and license agreement with Heptares Therapeutics Limited regarding its preclinical small-molecule calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) antagonist program
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals, in its sale of certain generic pharmaceutical products to Renaissance Pharma
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in connection with its sale of oncology assets to Ignyta
- Cephalon, in its exclusive license agreement with Eagle Pharmaceuticals related to BendekaTM with a total deal value in excess of $120 million, plus royalties
- Cipla, in connection with its $550 million acquisition of InvaGen Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Exelan Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Auspex
- Lupin, in connection with exclusive collaboration and license agreement regarding development and commercialization of innovative drug products and new platform technologies
- Syqe Medical, in connection with $20 million investment by Philip Morris and related exclusive license and development agreement regarding innovative inhaler products
- Pharmascience, in connection with its strategic partnership with Bion Pharmaceuticals
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, in connection with patent license and settlement agreements related to settlements of various brand and generic pharmaceutical patent litigation matters
- Fresenius Kabi, in connection with patent license and settlement agreements related to settlements of various pharmaceutical patent litigation matters
- Lupin, in connection with patent license and settlement agreements related to settlements of various pharmaceutical patent litigation matters
- West-Ward Pharmaceuticals, in connection with patent license and settlement agreements related to settlements of various pharmaceutical patent litigation matters
- Glenmark, in connection with patent license and settlement agreements related to settlements of various pharmaceutical patent litigation matters
- Alere, Inc., with respect to a 50/50 joint venture with The Procter & Gamble Company for existing and to-be-developed consumer diagnostic products
- Alere, Inc., with respect to its acquisition of ACON Laboratories Inc.'s worldwide lateral flow immunoassay business and its manufacturing facility in Hangzhou, China
- Alere, Inc., with respect to its acquisition of Biosite, Inc., a leading provider of rapid diagnostic products
- Citrix Systems, Inc., in its $1.8 billion spin-out of its GoTo family of products
- Citrix Systems, Inc., with respect to its strategic alliance with Cisco for desktop virtualization products
- Citrix Systems, Inc., with respect to a collaboration agreement with Microsoft regarding virtual desktops
- Citrix Systems, Inc., with respect to a collaboration agreement with Intel regarding a bare-metal hypervisor
- Thoma Bravo, LLC, in its acquisition of Roadnet Technologies Inc. (transportation and logistics solutions division formerly known as UPS Logistics Technologies) from United Parcel Service, Inc.
Robert is a member of the Boston Bar Association, Boston College Law School Intellectual Property Inn of Court and the American Bar Association. He also provides extensive pro bono services to a variety of clients as a member of the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts in Boston and Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association. In addition, he has served as a mentor to Boston area middle school students as part of the Legal Apprenticeship Program, in partnership with Citizen Schools and Discovering Justice.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Robert spent six years working for The Gillette Company as a project manager focusing on business process integration, supply chain management, data warehousing, customer relationship management and electronic commerce.
Suffolk University School of Law
(cum laude, high technology law concentration with distinction)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Recognition & Awards
Robert has been recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer “Rising Star” by Law & Politics and Boston magazine.