Thomas M. Gallagher is a partner in the Complex Litigation & Dispute Resolution group at Goodwin. He joined the firm in 2023. Tom represents clients in white collar criminal matters, corporate investigations, and complex civil litigation. Tom’s national practice is focused on representing entities facing government investigations, particularly focused in the health care industry. He also represents businesses and individuals facing investigation by federal and state law enforcement authorities, government regulatory agencies, and congressional committees. For example, he has represented major pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, payors, providers, defense contractors and other entities and individuals in parallel federal criminal, civil and state attorney general investigations, as well as Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and antitrust investigations.
Areas of Practice
- Member, Board of Directors, Faith in the Future Foundation
- Member, Board of Consultors, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
- Member, Emeritus Council, Pennsylvania Innocence Project
- Member, Board of Directors, Augustinian Defenders of the Rights of the Poor
Tom is a former prosecutor in the criminal division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He has led the investigation and prosecution of numerous complex, multidefendant white collar criminal matters in a number of industries, including health care, insurance, financial services, and defense.
Before he joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in 1995, Tom served for six years as a trial attorney and staff judge advocate for the U.S. Navy and, before that, served as a line officer on a destroyer. He retired as a captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve, Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
(cum laude; editor-in-chief, Villanova Law Review)
University of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Recognition & Awards
- Continually highly ranked by LMG Life Sciences as a Life Sciences Star, White-Collar/Government Investigations
- Continually highly ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Best Lawyers for Business for white collar matters
- Best Lawyers in America®: “Lawyer of the Year,” Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2023
- Super Lawyers®: Pennsylvania, 2021
- Benchmark Litigation: “Local Litigation Star,” Pennsylvania, 2021-2023
- Philadelphia Business Journal’s “Best of the Bar: Philadelphia’s Top Lawyers,” 2019
- Recommended for white collar criminal defense in The Legal 500 United States, 2017-2019
- Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2015-2022
- International Who’s Who of Business Crime Defense Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal: Investigations